Devin Ivy & Kate de Klerk: Homecoming King and Queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Every year two lucky students are voted to the coveted positions of Homecoming King and Queen, last weekend seniors Devin Ivy and Kate de Klerk were those lucky two. Want to know more about these two? So did we. Check out just how much spirit they have and how they feel about being our King and Queen!

How does it feel to be Homecoming King/ Queen?

Devin: It’s sort of like putting an uncooked grilled cheese on a pan with margarine (since you’re out of butter), leaving it for a minute, then returning to find a Dave’s sandwich.  It feels fantastic, but also wholly improbable and properly goofy.  A minute or two into devouring the delicious thing you realize your friends probably put the Dave’s sandwich there.

Kate: The sun shines brighter, the grass seems greener, and rainbows are everywhere.

What was your campaign platform?

DI :My campaign platform?  Irreverent shenanigans, Super Smash Brothers in the rain, and lots of freezie pops.  If you were at the pep rally last Friday then you know what I’m talking about.

KdK: Kate de Klerk’s hair whips itself back and forth.

How did you feel when you heard you were nominated?

DI: I literally laughed for a minute straight.  I was sleep deprived at the time, but that’s beside the point.  I didn’t ask anyone to nominate me, so I started the campaign on Facebook entitled “Devin Ivy wants to know who the f**k nominated him for homecoming king!”  The endeavor was only partially successful—I know I had at least three nominations to move on to the interview process, but only identified two of the suckas.  Third, I’ll find ya!

KdK: Unfazed, “ ‘cause I got it like that. ”

How do you think being crowned has changed your life?

DI: My freshman year a good friend of mine, Nick Whiteman, made a very important observation: “Mo’ money,mo’ pizza”.  In becoming homecoming king I lost a bet with Nick, and I’d like to make a revision to his original statement: “Mo’ crowns, mo’ blue zones”.  I’ve had to eat a Helen’s blue zone every day since homecoming, and that will continue until Halloween.  And if that’s not life-changing, I don’t know what is.  I’m calling for solidarity, if anyone would like to join me.

KdK: It has dramatically increased my number of hits on match.com 

What are your favorite things about Tufts?

DI: Everyone at the Hoof, all my DXX brothas and the extended family, and all the beautiful goofs who voted for me.  For me Tufts is all about the peeps!  My best friends in the multiverse.

KdK: That my roommate can’t have sex while I’m in the room.

What do you think about school spirit here on campus?

DI: There are many ways to be a patriot, and not all of them include waving flags.  We Tufts kids aren’t flag-wavers, but we’re happy to make a ruckus here and there, challenge each other’s ever-sharpening ideologies while beer-drinking, get pissed that we’re not allowed to run around naked anymore, and rally nightly around Moe’s.  That’s all school spirit, just not the type we get all faux-nostalgic for.  I say “faux-nostalgic” because I think it’s easy compare our college experiences to some idealized experience that we sort of “look back” on though it never occurred.  Think about all of Tufts’s idiosyncrasies and you’ll fin
d a pile of school spirit.

KdK: If I was crowned at every sporting event it would be better.

What other activities are you are part of on campus?

DI: I’m a Math Club enthusiast, technical director for Tuftslife, editor in chief for Melisma Magazine, TDC choreographer, yerpresentative [sic] of the Tufts Social Club, DXX member, OccupyTufts proponent, and a Rez coffee-drinker.

KdK: TEMS and Women’s Rugby

If you could do one thing to make Tufts better what would it be?

DI: More freakin cupcakes on Tuftstonia’s day.  They always run out.  I would also consider swapping the dates of 4/20 and NQR.

KdK: Hodgdon on weekends! 
If you could talk with the real Jumbo what would you say?

DI: I’d probably rub ’em then ask for my three wishes.  A wise pop-singer once said, “He’s a Jumbo in a bottle, baby you’ve gotta rub him the right way.”  (Tuftstina Aguilera?)

KdK: “Watch out!”

Halloween is coming up, what are you going to be?

DI: I will be Dr. Steve Brule, doctor extraordinaire and editorialist for Channel 5’s Married News Team.  For your health!  Go watch a season or four of “Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!” if you haven’t already.  I’ve planned this costume for months.

KdK: Justin Bieber

Do you have anything else you want to say to your subjects?

DI: Yes.  Thank you all SO MUCH.  Tufts experienced goofysh*t as it has never before.  You came, you supersmashed with jumbo at CC, you did god-knows-what to the ballot box, and we walk away with a paper crown, a bouquet of flowers which I know not how to care for, and most of all the realization that if we want shenanigans to take place- well, it will.  Please revel in that you have proven we are capable of the utmost whimsical, irreverent, and remarkable silliness, and know that my crowning is solely a tribute to that.

KdK: It is an honor to be your Queen.