courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Collegiette’s Guide to Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Valentine’s Day tends to have negative connotations for those of us who are single Collegiettes. But why should it? Valentine’s Day gives us an excuse to treat ourselves and make fun plans! You can be as involved in Valentine’s Day as buying yourself a piece of heart-shaped chocolate (because you deserve it, of course!) or throwing a Galentine’s Day party. Valentine’s Day should be about spending time with the people you love, no matter your relationship status!

Here are a few fun ways to celebrate Galentine’s this year with your friends:

Going out to eat

Eating out on Valentine’s Day is not a couples-only activity. Grab some girlfriends for a bite to eat at a new place that has been on your restaurant wish list. How about a tapas restaurant for some good food and margaritas? Or a new brunch spot (Café Luna in Cambridge is to die for) for a boozy Valentine’s Day brunch? Any excuse to eat is happily accepted.

Create a Galentine’s Day Playlist

Whether you’re having friends over for a party or just hanging out in your pajamas, make a playlist with some classic girl jams. Choose your favorites from artists like Beyoncé, Ke$ha, and Christina Aguilera (or anyone on this playlist: http://www.popculturemadness.com/Music/Ladies.php). Dancing around to this playlist is sure to put you in a great mood for any Valentine’s Day plans.

Take a trip to the mall

Valentine’s Day is on a Saturday this year, so why not head to the mall for some retail therapy? Buy an outfit that you feel amazing in, and wear it for the rest of the day just because you can. If you’re feeling lazy, you can always treat yourself to some online shopping.

See a movie

We all know which movie comes out this Valentine’s Day: the much-anticipated “Fifty Shades of Grey.” Make sure to buy tickets ahead of time because it is likely to be crowded! If you are not a fan of Christian Grey, there are other movies out this Valentine’s Day, including “Kingsman: The Secret Service” with the always handsome Colin Firth.

Host a wine and cheese night

Invite some friends over for a Valentine’s Day cocktail party! Sip on a glass (or two, or three, or…) of wine, have some cheese and crackers, and enjoy quality girl time. You can always watch a chick flick or have a crazy dance party. Anything can happen when you put wine and friends together!

Get your nails done

You deserve to treat yourself to some pampering this Valentine’s Day. Make a friend date out of a mani-pedi with your bestie. Try one of these perfect Valentine’s Day colors (http://nails.allwomenstalk.com/flirty-and-fun-nail-polishes-for-valentines-day)!

Hang out with your single guy friends

We often forget that our single guy friends won’t have any Valentine’s Day activities planned either. Bring your guy friends to lunch (what guys don’t want to eat?!), ice skating, a museum, or a movie. Just because you’re single doesn’t mean you can’t hang out with guys on Valentine’s Day!

Whichever way you choose to celebrate, surround yourself with those you love, and who knows what your future Valentine’s Days will bring!

Picture credits:

Photo 1:

En.wikipedia.org

Photo 2:

www.Andalucia.com

Photo 3:

www.Sugarfreeglow.com

Photo 4:

www.shoppertunity.com

Photo 5:

www.fullmovie2k.com

Photo 6:

www.gourmetcheesedetective.com

Photo 7:

Articles.mercola.com

Photo 8:

Hercampus.com