Chic Vintage Finds: Trends that Have Survived the Decades

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Trends found at vintage shops and consignment shops have with stood the test of time, and some of them are truly here to stay. In today’s world where clothes are often mass-produced a vintage find can be a well-made treasure. Below is a list of ten common vintage finds to incorporate into a trendy modern ensemble with pictures of leading street style mavens to show you how you can sport the trend.

1. Fur collars

Fur collars are a classic feminine piece that refuses to go away. Instead of promoting the creation of new fur items, buy vintage! It is a great alternative, if you really like the look. It is extremely versatile and can be paired with a cardigan, crew neck sweater, or jacket.

2. Cool Kicks

Kicks like high top Converse have been popular since the 1950s on clean cut and bad boys alike. They had a real peak in the 1980s and 1990s when they were popularized by urban and hip-hop culture (Will Smith rocked some sweet kicks as the Fresh Prince!). Shoes are still an important item to keep you looking street style savvy, and they are definitely not only for the guys! In fact, this otherwise comfortable item has been seen worn as wedges or paired with dresses and other day apparel on women this season. To pump up your street style strut your stuff in a vintage pair of high top Nikes or Reeboks. You could also test drive a more classic style with high top white Converse.

3. Wide-Leg Pants

Collegiettes are ditching the skinny jeans for less confining dimensions. Wide-leg pants, made popular in the 1960’s and 70’s as a flattering way to look chic, are definitely not just for hippies! These pants are versatile. They can be worn with a shirt from a cotton tee to a silk or polyester blouse and offer an easy transition from day to night. Many fabulous vintage versions you can find from plain denim to playful patterns.

4. Silk Scarves

Silk scarves are timeless accessories. Their wear may have gone through several transformations: from a necktie, to a hair wrap, to a turban, but they have lasted the test of time. Today there are multiple ways to incorporate them into your outfit to look trendy tie it on your head as a turban or hair wrap; around your neck as a bow; or slap them on your purse or wrist to add a little extra flavor to your outfit. Silk scarves are available in seemingly endless varieties and produced by countless designers, so they are easy to experiment with to create your picture perfect ensemble of your own.

5. Midi Skirts

Maxi, midi, and mini- all lengths go now giving collegiettes more opportunity to incorporate vintage finds into a quite modern outfit. Midi skirts are another great option for an easy day to night transition. Look for solid midi skirts made with a sheer or silk material; or ones with trendy prints such as stripes or color blocks.

6. Costume Jewelry

The statement necklace is hot right now and luckily was when your grandma was a collegiette too! Costume jewelry was made to be big, bold, and over the top; often coming in an assortment of colors and jewels perfect for bedazzling your next ensemble (and for a fraction of the price of something new!). Look for clustered jewel earrings, fun bulbous clip-on finds, crystal statement necklaces, and lustrous chandelier earrings to make a statement. They will leave you looking as glam as Grace Kelly.

7. Loafers

Loafers are preppy and classic. Though they may have had a stint where they drew associations mainly to middle-aged mothers and house wives, they are once again trendy! Vintage finds can leave you looking quite modern in fact! Look for penny loafer models, or thinner cuts with tassels and woven leather.

8. Cowboy Boots

Built to last, the trend has not only survived the test of time, but the actual boots have too! They are available in plainer styles from blood red to deep brown or with more ambitious statements like snake skin and with fringe. Pair them with Daisy Dukes like Jessica Simpson, fun flowing dresses, or jeans to head to the library.

9. Platform Wedges

Lady Gaga may have just started a revolution in over the top fashion, as heels seem to be getting increasingly high. But if we look back we notice that ladies were strutting their stuff in higher-than-life heels before- with platform wedges. This should be an easy (and justifiable) purchase as they trendy, with out looking too far out-of-the-box, and perfect to wear out to a night on the town (or around campus ;)).

10. Brocade Pieces

Brocade is elegant and feminine. Its incorporation into an outfit can make the ensemble instantly chic and glamorous. Popular in the 1950’s and 60’s in cuts such as pencil skirts, sheath dresses, and full skirts, these pieces are perfect again for the Fall 2012 season. One can wear theses pieces out to an event for a fabulously pretty look or dress them down with crewneck and cardigan sweaters.

Photos courtesy of: Etsy.com, nytimes.com, Hermes, fashion.telegraph.co.uk, lookbok.nu, tuliplouise.blogspot.com, fashionvibe-blog.blogspot.com, fellt.com/tuula, www.fashionlitter.blogspot.com, outofabook.blogspot.com, fieldoffox.blogspot.com, outofabook.blogspot.com, momentumoffailure.wordpress.com, www.bjonesstyle.com, lamodellamafia.com, vintag.es, and itscamilleco.com.

Simmone Seymour is a current student at Tufts University studying Political Science, Economics, and Communications. She is interested in films, fashion, art, design, marketing, advertising, PR, blogging, new trends and the DIY movement. She is now the Campus Correspondent for the Tufts University Chapter of Her Campus and blogs for the Beauty School Blog. She aspires to get involved in marketing and has worked at Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Hungry Fish Media, Jack Morton Worldwide, Argopoint LLP, the Tufts Daily, the HC headquarters as a Marketing & Sales Associate, and at Leo Burnett Worldwide.In her spare time (which is far and in between) she freelance writes for publications, maintains a blog, learns about graphic design and coding, and explores which ever city she may be in. Her idols are Chelsea handler, Sheryl Sandberg, and Marissa Meyer.Got something fashion or beauty-related you think is amazing? Contact Simmone at SimmoneSeymour@hercampus.com to discuss article inquiries.