In Case You Missed It: Her Career Recap!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

On Tuesday night, Tufts collegiettes gathered in Cabot auditorium for a night of career advice, Chipotle, and giveaways. Her Career, an event we co-hosted with the Tufts Career Center, was a ton of fun! If you didn’t get the chance to be there, just read this recap to catch up on what you missed!

The night began with FREE Chipotle and Starbucks coffee for the attendees and neuro beverages (huge shout out and thank you to neuro for supplying us with a ton of yummy drinks for the night)! At 6pm, HC Co-Presidents Lauren Medwid (‘17) and Alex Horvitz (‘15) joined HC Events Coordinator Claire Hard (‘17) on stage to welcome everyone to the event. Shannon Seaver from the Tufts Career Center then gave a brief overview of the incredible resources the Career Center has to offer. Did you know that we have access to amazing tools like Focus 2, The Tufts Career Advisory Network, and more?! Shannon also stressed the point that it is never too early to begin going to the career center – even if you don’t know your major yet! She said that by building a relationship with a career counselor, the counselor can better understand your interests for later on in your college life when you are looking for internships or jobs.

After Shannon’s overview of the Career Center, the panel began. Our panelists included: Katie Pelkey, a marketing associate at neuro; Neha Basu, a content marketing associate at Arnold Worldwide; Chelsea Evans, the Director of Marketing at Her Campus Media; Jen Gewant, a current junior and student entrepreneur at Tufts; and Shannon Seaver, the Assistant Director of the Tufts Career Center. Here is some of the takeaways from the night:

• Join any club or organization on campus that interests you, and don’t be afraid to go without your friends! It’s a great way to amp up your resume as a freshman as well as explore your interests.

• …Or, start your own club (or even a business, like Jen Gewant did with her company IT’SOCIAL!).

• Put yourself out there on Twitter and LinkedIn to show your future employers who you really are! Our panelists stressed the importance of personality: “You can train anyone to do practically anything, but if you don’t think you can work alongside them then that’s an issue,” said Jen Gewant.

• Take activities from high school off your resume after sophomore year of college. If you feel your high school experiences were particularly meaningful to you, try to make your college experiences even more meaningful.

• It’s all about networking. When you’re looking for a job or internship, don’t be afraid to tap into any sort of network that might be available to you, whether it’s through family, friends, or your school’s awesome alumni connections!

• Try everything – jump at any opportunity that interests you, even if it turns out to not be your thing! It will help you cross things off your list that you definitely don’t want to do with your career, and help you figure out what you really want to do!

• Even though you don’t want college to end, that time will come – so make sure you’re preparing yourself! Graduates, remember to balance your work life with your social life, and keep putting yourself out there to meet new people who might live nearby.

When the panel concluded, we selected the raffle winners!

Nine lucky collegiettes got to walk away with the following amazing goodybags:

Workout Then Eat Up 1:

• 1 Month Unlimited Classes FREE at Turnstyle Cycle

• $25 Gift Card to Redbones BBQ in Davis Square

• $25 Gift Card to Yoshi’s

• Assorted J.P. Licks Coupons

• Her Campus Pen

Workout Then Eat up 2 (Two Winners!):

• $25 Gift Card to Yoshi’s

• $10 Gift Card to J.P. Licks

• $5 Gift Card to Orange Leaf

• Assorted J.P. Licks Coupons

• Her Campus Pen

Ice Cream, Sushi, & HC Swag 1:

• 1 Scoop N Scootery Mini Combo Gift Card

• $25 Gift Card to Yoshi’s

• $5 Gift Card to Orange Leaf

• Assorted J.P. Licks Coupons

• Her Campus Poppin Notebook

• Her Campus T-Shirt

Ice Cream, Sushi, & HC Swag 2:

• 1 Scoop N Scootery Mini Combo Gift CArd

• $5 Gift Card to Orange Leaf

• Assorted J.P. Licks Coupons

• Her Campus Poppin Notebook

• Her Campus T-Shirt

Ice Cream, Sushi & HC Swag 3:

• $10 Gift Card to J.P. Licks

• $5 Gift Card to Orange Leaf

• Assorted J.P. Licks Coupons

• Her Campus Poppin Notebook

• Her Campus T-Shirt

All You Could Ever Need From The Cambridgeside Galleria (Three Winners!):

• $20 Gift Card to Loft

• $10 Gift Card to Sephora

• Makeup from Makeup Forever and other brands

• Complimentary mini makeover at Sephora

• Lotion from The Body Shop

• Tote Bag

Overall it was a super fun night! Thank you so much to our panelists, sponsors, and everyone who came!

If you are interested in contacting any of the panelists, please email: AlexHorvitz@hercampus.com.

Photos courtesy of Vera Masterson.

Alex Horvitz is a junior at Tufts University in Boston, MA. She is double-majoring in Economics and Psychology and minoring in Communications and Media Studies. With a passion for beauty blogging, Alex is a contributing beauty blogger for Her Campus. Alex is a Co-President of Her Campus Tufts and she also worked as a Sales & Marketing Associate for Her Campus during the Summer of 2012. Email AlexHorvitz@hercampus.com with questions or connect with her on Twitter @Alex_Horvitz or LinkedIn!