Campus Celeb: Ethan Kopit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Name: Ethan Kopit

Year: 2017

Hometown: Santa Cruz, CA

Major: Political Science

Why did you pick your major? 

I picked my major after taking PS 61 (I think) with Vickie Sullivan. I knew going into college I was interested in Political Science, but I always assumed I would go into IR or Econ or something. Professor Sullivan is an all star and we’re still friends today.

What are you involved with on campus? 

I’m involved in Theta Chi — I’m just finishing up my presidency. I’m also a co-founder of Mimir, a Tufts startup that analyzes scientific research data to create profiles of researchers and labs. 

What does your start up do? 

Mimir sells access to our database of profiles to companies who work with researchers. Often, those companies sell things to researchers, but sometimes they’re looking to collaborate or license technology.

How did you decide to start it? 

Basically, we founded it, or at least I stayed, because it was a way to do something with friends I had just made. Ian, one of my other co-founders, lived in the same dorm with me, so I liked the bonding element of it.

Hardest thing about running a startup? 

The hardest thing about running a startup is the pressure. Everyone jokes about how often startups fail (I think it’s like 90%) but that hits home for me and the other founders. We’ve devoted thousands of hours to build Mimir and we feel an obligation to our employees and ourselves. It’s not a joke to us.

Favorite thing about being part of Theta Chi? 

Theta Chi is tight-knit and it gives me a sense of home at college. Plus, tonight I beat Keith Henzer in a game of Ruit in triple overtime. So, suck it Keith.

Hardest part of being president? 

Actually it’s a lot like Mimir, the pressure really gets to you. I guess, the best way to explain it is that I’m responsible for my 60 best friends.

Best story about your brothers? 

Any good story should not be printed online in Her Campus!

Most embarrassing moment at Tufts? 

I think the day that Chris Gregg called me out in Comp15 for skipping class because it was raining. 

Single? Taken? It’s complicated? 

Taken.

Favorite place on campus? 

Tisch roof, hands down.

Favorite drink from the Rez? 

Medford Fog with two extra shots of espresso. It’s like $9, so when you have the free Rez drink, go for it. It’ll change your life.

Spirit animal?

Bear.

If you were a food, what would you be? 

Wine. You are what you drink, and I’m your best friend, Bota box.

Pet peeve? 

Passive aggressiveness 

Biggest fear? 

I hate throwing up.

Guilty pleasure?

So, JP Licks has a brownie sundae. I make mine with 2 scoops of cheesecake ice cream, hot fudge and raspberries.

Strangest habit?

I purposefully wear mismatched socks…

Make sure you also check out last week’s campus celeb, Kenneth Postigo.