Amherst Men’s Soccer Team Responds to Trump’s “Locker Room Talk”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

“When you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything” – Donald Trump

The release of Donald Trump’s infamous conversation, overheard on “Access Hollywood” with Billy Bush, has sparked serious controversy over the ethics and morals of the Republican presidential candidate. Claiming this was purely “locker room talk”, Trump believed his celebrity status was enough to excuse inappropriate verbal and physical behavior towards women, and free him of consequences.

The Amherst men’s soccer team spoke out in reaction to this misogynistic claim by Trump. David Lander, a senior, wrote an article on behalf of his team for the Huffington Post, stating that the “locker room” Trump had referred to was “not [his] locker room.” He explains the topics discussed in their locker room include school, personal lives, opponents or simply casual conversation. He addresses that sexual harassment is a widespread issue on college campuses and acknowledges that his team “is by no means perfect on these fronts, but wants to be part of the solution.” Their team is involved in advocating for and promoting awareness of sexual violence on campus, and emphasizes that “respect is not an act.” Trump’s referral to his remarks as “locker room talk” of is inexcusable, and as we see is an inaccurate representation of the very connotation of locker room talk, and should not be tolerated or excused.

The movement #notokay has been created on Twitter, taking a stand against the violation and harassment of women and giving them a platform to share anecdotes of their mistreatment.

A powerful man in the running to represent our country is telling people that it is okay to use this language and behave in this manner. As women, men, daughters, sons, and parents alike, we should be outraged by this kind of derogatory language. There is no justification. This is not locker room talk and these are not just words.

Photo from:

www.huffingtonpost.com