All Your Sorority Recruitment Questions, Answered!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Scheduled to take place from January 21st through January 27th, Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment is rapidly approaching! Those of you who are thinking about rushing a sorority here at Tufts probably have a ton of questions, so we have compiled a master Q&A for all things recruitment! If you are wondering about something that is not addressed below, please write your question in the Comments section at the end of the article, and we will be sure to get back to you with a response!

How many sororities are there at Tufts, and what are their names?

There are three sororities here at Tufts: Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Phi, and Chi Omega.

I’m not 100% sure if I want to rush or not – what are the benefits of being part of Greek Life at Tufts?

There are many benefits to being a part of Greek Life at Tufts. By joining a sorority, you get to know many more people on campus. Furthermore, you will meet upperclassmen who can be great resources for advice about academic classes, extracurricular activities, or any other aspect of campus life. Also, sororities are nation-wide organizations with “chapters” on campuses across the country, so by joining a sorority, you are actually joining a group that may be able to provide you with great networking opportunities after college. In addition, philanthropy one of the core components of Greek Life, so joining a sorority at Tufts is a great way to get involved in community service.

If I go through Rush Week and then decide I don’t want to join a sorority, do I have to accept a bid?

Nope! There is no harm in going through recruitment. If you feel that there isn’t a chapter that fits you or that Greek Life isn’t your thing, you can withdraw at any point during the process.

Is there a “typical Sorority Girl” Tufts?

Not at all. All three sororities at Tufts consist of a diverse group of girls, which makes engaging in Greek Life a great way to meet new people who you might not otherwise know! Whether you share some, all, or none of the same interests with your sorority sisters, you are guaranteed to become close with them all.

What traits are current members looking for in the girls who are rushing?

Chapters aren’t looking for any specific traits! Just be yourself.

How big is a typical pledge class? Does it reflect the number of girls going through rush?

At Tufts there is a guaranteed bid system, which means that if you register for recruitment, you are guaranteed a bid to one of the three sororities (but not necessarily to your top-ranked chapter). This means that the more girls who register for recruitment, the larger the pledge classes will be.

Do Sororities try to keep friends together while giving bids?

No – the goal of recruitment is to accept new members who seem to be good fits for the sorority as it currently exists. Each PNM (potential new member) should decide her preferences independently from her friends, basing her sorority choice on the personal experiences she, herself has had while rushing. Just because you and your best friend receive bids from different chapters certainly does not mean that your friendship will end!

What should I wear during Sorority Rush Week?

On most evenings, just dress like you are going to a nice dinner: dark jeans, a nice shirt or sweater, boots, etc. For Preference Night, however, you should definitely seize the opportunity to dress up a bit! Wear a cute dress, and keep it classy (nothing too tight or revealing) – remember: you are showcasing your personality, not your body. For more detailed advice on what to wear each night of recruitment, check out our What to Wear: Rush Week article here!

What is the time commitment during Rush Week?

Rush Week can be pretty time-consuming, but it is also a ton of fun!

There will be five days of recruitment events between Monday, January 21st, and Sunday, January 27th. (If you have classes during a recruitment event, just make your conflict known, and you will be excused from the event without penalty).

What activities take place during Tufts Rush Week?

There are five days of recruitment:

Monday, January 21, 2013: Panhellenic Day

Tuesday, January 22, 2013: Open Parties*

Wednesday, January 23, 2013: Open Parties*

Friday, January 25, 2013: Philanthropy Day

Saturday, January 26, 2013: Preference Night

Sunday, January 27, 2013: Bid Day

*Potential New Members only attend one night of Open Parties

Rush Week begins with Panhellenic Day, which is when all PNMs meet all of the sisters from each chapter at a neutral location. For all of the other events, each individual chapter will have something different arranged for you, but each event is a surprise, so you’re just going to have to attend to find out what awaits!

How long do I have to stay at each event during Rush Week?

For the amount of time that is allotted to the event in the Rush Week schedule. You will be placed into Rho Gamma groups and will be required to stay at each event until the group is dismissed.

How do Preference Night and Bid Day work?

Preference Night is a very important event for each of the sororities – it is the evening on which PNMs will get to experience the deep, emotional, and sentimental aspects of each chapter. This is the time during which PNMs will reflect upon their Rush Week experiences, and make a final decision about which chapter they would like to join.

Bid Day, on the other hand, is all about fun! Everyone gets her bid and a cute bid day shirt, and gets to go to the actual sonority house to meet both her new sisters, and the other girls in her new member class.

Is everyone guaranteed a bid?

Yep! If all directions are followed, then you are guaranteed a bid. 

How does the bid process work?

It is an online process that is very complicated, and is not appropriate to discuss with PNMs. Each Tufts student who is rushing should just be aware that after each event, she should rank all sororities that invite her back, in order to ensure that she will be guaranteed a bid to one of the sororities.

Do Sororities haze during Rush Week?

No. Sororities do not haze during recruitment, nor do they haze at any point during the new member initiation process. Hazing is against Tufts University policy. 

How much does it cost to be in a sorority? 

It depends on the chapter; however, if you are concerned about the costs you can speak with a representative from your chapter (after bid day!) about the possibilty of receiveing financial aid.

When are new members officially initiated?

Each of the three chapters has a slightly different process, but formal initiation generally takes place within six to eight weeks after Bid Day.

Alex Horvitz is a junior at Tufts University in Boston, MA. She is double-majoring in Economics and Psychology and minoring in Communications and Media Studies. With a passion for beauty blogging, Alex is a contributing beauty blogger for Her Campus. Alex is a Co-President of Her Campus Tufts and she also worked as a Sales & Marketing Associate for Her Campus during the Summer of 2012. Email AlexHorvitz@hercampus.com with questions or connect with her on Twitter @Alex_Horvitz or LinkedIn!