7 Best DIY Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Happy Fall Collegiettes!  We know October has arrived when the aroma of pumpkin spice lattes begins to fill our classrooms and the trees turn a stunning shade of crimson.  It is all so exciting! But, what we are most excited for happens on the 31st—Halloween! This is your ultimate guide to the best simple, yet cute, DIY costumes.

1.    No Big Deal, I’m just a Rockstar

What you need:

1) Distressed Jean shorts  

2) Crop Top or T-shirt–Cut or rip the sleeves off of the T-shirt

3) Combat boots or Converse

*If you do not have a pair of distressed jean shorts:

-Take an old pair of jeans (men’s jeans work the best) and cut them at wanted length

-Cut long horizontal slits (groups of three stacking) on the front of shorts

-Run them through a cycle to give them the extra distressed look 

To make your hair fit the part, simultaneously spray strong holding hairspray as you flip your head up and down. This will give your hair volume and the messy look without creating tangles. To give your costume an extra flare, tie a plaid shirt around your waist or add a leather vest.

2.     Toddler

Who doesn’t love toddlers! This idea is super cute when you have couple friends doing it with you.

1) Throw your hair up into some pigtails and tie ribbons to complete the hairstyle.

2) If you have an onesie and are daring enough to rock the look go for it! But, if you overheat easily then go for any top but stick to soft colors such as baby blues, pinks, and pastels.

3) For bottoms stick with pajama pants or shorts.

4) Go with the slippers, Uggs, or any comfortable pair of shoes you want!

If you happen to have a pacifier, take a string and tie it around your neck.  There you go!  A DIY toddler costume.

3.     It’s a Bird…It’s a Plane…It’s you!

1) Grab your pillow case and tie it around your neck.

2) For the mask, cut a strip of the waistline from an old stretchy black shirt (now you have a crop top) and cut two holes for your eyes. 

For your top and bottom stick to a solid color. With your cape and mask nothing can defeat you! And if you’re feeling bold, pull out some bright color undies and pull it over your leggings to complete the look.

4.     Where’s Waldo?!

This look requires three essentials:

1)  A red solid or red and white striped shirt

2)  Square-framed glasses

3)  A red beanie 

For pants, the safest bet would be jeans but hey! Waldo can also pull off that cute high waisted skirt. Go crazy with shoes.

5.     Yee-haw! Cowgirl Style

For this look:

1)  A plaid shirt – Now every girl has a go to plaid. Now if you don’t, head across your hall and ask that cute hall-mate to borrow his!

2)  Jean shorts (or jeans if its chilly)

3)  A bandana

4)  Boots (tall or short—your pick!)

6.     Skier

For this look you must acquire two items:

1) Ski Goggles

2) Winteresque boots 

As a beginner to Boston winters I have already begun my collection of fleeces and warm clothing.  This costume is completed with black leggings and a colorful fleece!

**If you are planning to be inside you can easily ditch the fleece and settle for a solid color tank.

7.     Murica

What better way to show off your American pride then to dress up inspired by our country’s beautiful flag. All you need to gather is red, white, and blue clothing. Get creative! Throw in some stripes, stars, or just go solid! Either way, show off your spirit and GO TEAM USA!

Tori Lin is from Seattle, WA and is pursuing International Finance and Entrepreneurship at Tufts University! She is passionate about fashion, health, beauty, and food.  She is currently a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista and a brand Ambassador for Neurobrands (drinkneuro) and Lyft. Check out her webpage, blog DinWithTlin and connect with her through Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn! 
Alex Horvitz is a junior at Tufts University in Boston, MA. She is double-majoring in Economics and Psychology and minoring in Communications and Media Studies. With a passion for beauty blogging, Alex is a contributing beauty blogger for Her Campus. Alex is a Co-President of Her Campus Tufts and she also worked as a Sales & Marketing Associate for Her Campus during the Summer of 2012. Email AlexHorvitz@hercampus.com with questions or connect with her on Twitter @Alex_Horvitz or LinkedIn!