neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Health Hacks for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Tis’ the season of runny noses, sore throats, and thundering coughs. With the combination of constant school stress and the wintery weather, it seems virtually impossible to stay healthy during these upcoming months. It’s even worse since us Collegiettes are surrounded by unavoidable germs and diseases on a daily basis! With the lurking threat of colds and flus, here are a few tricks to keep you healthy this holiday season!

1. Flu Shot

Some are skeptical of this vaccine (or simply afraid of needles!) but the flu shot is a must for the winter. All it takes it a poke to keep you safe from a high fever, nausea, and post-nasal drip. Flu shots are commonly provided through your school’s health center, your physician, or a local CVS.

2. Oscillococcinum

A hidden gem in the pharmaceutical section of local drugstores, these small tubes of sugar spheres can eliminate all cold symptoms. At the first sign of an illness, dissolve the contents of the tube on your tongue and you will feel better in an instant!

3. Emergen-C

To add a little flavor to your medical routine, dissolve Emergen-C packets into water for a boost of vitamin C. Not only do these packets add a handful of vitamins to your daily intake, but they also force you to drink more water and flush any sickness out of your body. Flavors include orange, pink lemonade, and raspberry to name a few! Boxes can be found at pharmacies and supermarkets.

4. NyQuil

As the best sleep aid in the book, NyQuil helps fight sleepless night caused by stuffy noses or coughing. Additionally, NyQuil has cold and flu tackling properties that will allow you to wake up in the morning feeling like a new person. However, read the dosage information carefully or you might sleep through that 8AM class! NyQuil can be found behind the counter at most pharmacies.

5. Sleep

The most obvious, yet underrated aspect of staying healthy is sleeping. Collegiettes should get 8-10 hours of sleep per night. While it might seem impossible to sleep that much while juggling schoolwork, extracurriculars and a social life, sleeping will truly make a huge difference in your health and your ability to stay flu-free!

6. Slow Down

Remember, it’s important to do everything you can to keep yourself healthy.  Exercising three to five times a week, eating well-balanced meals, and overall taking good care of yourself are simple ways to improve your day-to-day wellbeing. It’s important to take time to breathe, enjoy your day, and do whatever makes you happy!

Photo Courtesy of: reilycenter.com, multivu.com and mediabistro.com

Edited by Adriana Guardans-Godo