Working women?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Working women?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

5 Tips to Crush Your Virtual Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Interviews can be stressful, particularly in a virtual format. Nothing is quite like being face-to-face with someone, but there’s no reason you can’t make the best of this situation! Here are 5 tips to ace your next virtual interview.

1. Do a practice run! Before you log on for the real deal, make sure you’re prepared and ready to go! That means testing your technology (camera and microphone), deciding what background you want to use, and ensuring you’re in a place where you can focus.  
  2. Dress to impress! Even though your interviewer might not be able to experience your entire look, putting on an outfit you’re excited about is the best way to get yourself in the interview mindset.  
  3. Know what you want to say! Since you’re in a virtual setting, it’s easy to rely on your computer for notes, or even to read off of a script. But don’t fall into this trap! Pretend you’re going into an office for an in-person interview, prepare well, and know what you want to say before you’re in the interview.  
  4. Be yourself! It can be difficult to communicate personality over Zoom – but it’s not impossible! Every interviewer appreciates the ability to have a genuine conversation with a candidate, so make sure to be yourself whenever you get the opportunity.  
  5. Prepare good questions! This tip applies to interviews in any format, but it can be particularly important when you don’t get to visit your potential office. Come up with a few questions whose answers you can’t easily find online. You’ll be sure to impress your interviewer and show you care about the position!  

Most importantly: take a deep breath and remember: you’re getting interviewed because the company is interested in your candidacy! You’re one step closer to getting your dream job: own that and show off your confidence!

Kaitlyn Meslin (Tufts University) is a senior majoring in International Relations with minors in Finance and Entrepreneurship. She is from Boston, MA.