This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.
  1. The show centers a heartwarming female friendship between three incredible women: Kat, Jane, and Sutton. 
  2. Scarlet Magazine, the main setting by the show, is led by a female editor-in-chief, Jacqueline Carlyle, who is portrayed as complex, intelligent, and strong. 
  3. Through the portrayal of the three protagonists, the show gets real about identity-based and social justice issues. All within the first season, Kat struggles with her first queer relationship and her partner’s complicated immigrant status, Jane learns she has the BRCA gene, a mutation that increases her risk of Breast and Ovarian Cancer, and Sutton encounters a complicated power dynamic at work in her relationship with a board member. 
  4. All of the music played on the show is by female or gender non-binary artists. 
  5. There’s nothing more entertaining than witnessing the adventures of three unique women in the heart of New York City. 

Watch The Bold Type every Tuesday at 8/7 Central on Freeform! If you’re too busy then, you can always catch up on the Freeform website or on Hulu.

Julia Proshan is currently a sophomore at Tufts University, studying Psychology and Civic Studies. She was born and raised in New York City.