11 Must-Watch Horror Movies to Inspire Your Terrified Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Halloween has been disrespected. It’s a travesty, truly – parties, sexy costumes, trick-or-treating – these infantile traditions surrounding what should be the most terrifying holiday of the year have completely diluted the beautiful nature of horror. I’m here to prepare you for the right kind of Halloween. The following films draw from the best of the horror genre. Spanning time, focus, subgenre, and clique, these movies cover it all. Halloween is waiting for you; make sure you are ready. 

1) Psycho (1960): If I were to spend Halloween night anywhere in the fictional world, it would definitely be at Bates Motel, I think Norman and I would get along swimmingly.

2) The Exorcist (1973): From William Peter Blatty’s novel based on the last known religiously-sanctioned exorcism in the United States, this horrifying story follows a young girl possessed by no ordinary demon.

3) Carrie (1976): Was your prom your worst nightmare? Just you wait. This Stephen King adaptation is definitive proof that high school bullying is no joking matter and when supernatural powers are involved, well, let’s just say it can get a bit messy.   

4) The Shining (1980): It’s a chilling classic. The Shining, based on the novel by Stephen King, perfectly portrays why it is the worst idea to follow in the footsteps of a man who went mad and “redrum”ed his entire family.

5) Friday the 13th (1980): It’s raining dead camp counselors, hallelujah! These gory deaths will perfectly inspire your 2018 costume.

6) Poltergeist (1982): It’s he-e-ere! Poltergeist debuted my horror fanaticism. A few paranormal events and a missing daughter makes this frightening film a horror classic.

7) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984): Just don’t fall asleep after this one.

8) Silence of the Lambs (1991): You will be thinking about this terrifying psychological thriller until Christmas, guaranteed. Working with a psychopathic, cannibalistic murderer to catch another can do absolutely no damage, right? Just as Dr. Hannibal Lecter manipulates Clarice’s inner psyche, this film will mess with yours. If it doesn’t watch this movie, it gets the hose. 

9) Scream (1996): Here’s your slasher. Who do you think it is?

10) The Ring (2002): Let me preface by saying: after I saw this movie for the first time, I refused to be alone in the dark with any T.V. I imagine this will be a first for you– The Ring tells of a creepy and bizarre videotape that has the power to kill?

11) The Conjuring (2013): Their secluded farmhouse was due for a little haunting. The Conjuring follows a traditional yet terrorizing haunted house clique. Watch it with a friend for moral support.