Will Cha ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Year: 2013
Major: English
Hometown: Newton, MA
High School: Newton South HS

Tell us a little bit about yourself:
I was born in Akron, Ohio, where fellow celebs like Lebron James and band members of the Black Keys were born. So I guess it was just a matter of time until I got featured in Her Campus: Campus Celebs, which I am honored by the way. Also another thing about myself, I am single.

What kind of things are you involved in on campus?
I am the SGA VP of Entertainment, the Chair of Barnyard, Community Liaison for The Mill, fashionista chair for Kappa Sigma, and the VP of Trinity Boxing Club.

How did you decide to get involved with Barnyard, formerly known as EAC?
Ever since my freshman year I noticed that Trinity’s been recycling through the same old events and the Spring Weekend (the staple of Trinity) hype kept declining year after year. I wanted to bring something refreshing and different for this campus so I figured that being part of Barnyard (formally EAC) would be the way to make this happen because of the amount of funding and the resource.

You’re responsible for putting together Trinity’s first ever Annual Trintober Fest. Tell us a little a bit about how you came up with the idea:
My friend and I were having a casual conversation at Peter Bs and we came up with the idea of having a small Oktoberfest between a handful of organizations on campus. My incentive to put on this event grew even more when my Facebook newsfeed began to flood with photos of my friends abroad at Oktoberfest, so we decided that we would bring the event right in our backyard to have a campus wide Oktoberfest on the Main Quad. My goal was to collaborate with as many organizations as possible to turn this into a staple event at Trinity, possibly starting a Fall Weekend, like how we have Spring Weekend. The amount of responses I got from different organization leaders was amazing. And that’s how Trintoberfest got started.

What other plans do you have for Barnyard this year and what are you most excited for?
We’ll be putting on the staples like 80s Dance and then Spring Weekend later in the year, but most of the events we are planning in between is still up in the air. However, Spring Weekend will be a little bit different this year and this is something I am most excited for. Two things I know for sure is that the concert won’t be happening on a Sunday nor will it take place during the day, so you can leave the rest up to your imagination.

What’s the hardest part about being head of a club that’s not only so well-known, but essentially responsible for entertaining Trinity’s student body?
Part of the reason why I wanted to change the name of the organization from EAC to Barnyard is because, although EAC, used to be a very recognizable organization, it seemed to have stigma that these events weren’t the “it” events. Welcome Back, 80s, and Spring Weekend have be relatively successful, but that’s because they are staple events that people get hyped about even before getting to campus. So rebranding is a fresh start for the entertainment body on campus and getting Trinity students to recognize that Barnyard puts on events that are “the place to be”.

If you had an unlimited budget and all the means necessary, what is the craziest, most over the top event you would plan?
I love listening to music. Therefore, I love going to concerts and music festivals. So my over the top event would be to have a music festival at Trinity. There would be three stages, one on the LSC quad, another on the Main Quad, and the third on the Soccer field. Each stage would specialize in different genres– one stage would have Tiesto, Avicii, Benny Benassi, Laidback Luke, Skrillex, and Bassnectar, while the second stage would have Radiohead, Fun., Third Eye Blind, Dave Matthews Band, M83, and Dispatch, and the third and final stage would have Kid Cudi, Wiz Khalifa, Kanye West, Rick Ross, and of course the holographic Tupac. The path from one stage to another will be lined with food vendors, dancers, fire eaters, hula dancers, exotic animals and more food. Also I would put a fourth stage in the field house for one-hit-wonders like Miley Cyrus, Carly Rae Jepson, etc. There would be not overlapping sets so that everyone can enjoy every act.

Kat is a senior at Trinity College, majoring in American Studies with a concentration in Media and Communications and minoring in English. She serves as the Campus Correspondent for Trinity's chapter of Her Campus and also co-manages The Party of Two, a style blog that she shares with her twin. After graduation, Kat hopes to work in the fashion or editorial field. Apart from their blog, you can also follow Kat and Ash on their Instagram: @thepartyoftwo.