Text Message Break-Ups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Nothing is better than feeling your phone vibrate and seeing a text pop up from your boyfriend. As you happily swipe your finger to open the text you see, no… it can’t be. Your heart races as you look away thinking that this could never possibly happen to you. You are mortified, embarrassed, and kind of want to kill yourself because the only words you see are “it is over”. Reading it over and over again doesn’t change what it says. You can try and trick yourself, but it wont work. That’s it…done? Embarrassment slowly turns to rage…and well, you get the picture. The text message break up sucks. But just how often does this happen? Unfortunately, we seem to underestimate the rate at which the text message break up occurs. Recent statistics show that 1 in 10 people are dumped via text. What is even worse and unsettling is that if you type in “text message breakup” on Google, there are actually websites that direct you on how to break up with someone via text. First of all, it is sad that anyone would need to enlist the help of a website to teach you how to break up with someone over 160 characters. Hopefully, if you were crazy enough to want to, you would be able to do that on your own. But is this what our world has come too? Yes, technology is opening up new ways of communication, where would we be in our relationships without the flirty texting? But has the game changed so much that texting is now an acceptable form of breakup? I certainly hope not. I hope our generation hasn’t gotten so out of touch that we can’t even tell someone we have dated that it is time to separate. Hopefully we still have some respect for each other.
But now you are dumped, so what is your next move? I say you thank your new ex profusely for breaking up with you. Next time you see them, run over to them and give them a big ol’ hug because they just did you the best possible favor they could have ever done for you. I know what you are thinking…is this girl crazy? Who would actually give this advice? I would, because think about it, who wants to date someone who obviously didn’t even care enough about you to break up with you to your face? Do they not have any emotion whatsoever? Who do they think they are? Obviously, you are better than them. Actually, they probably know that, and that is why they broke up with you. Just kidding, well…only kind of.
Honestly, I dare you to upload the screen shot of the break up to Facebook. If someone was insane enough to break up with you via text, be crazy enough to upload it to Facebook. It’s not embarrassing, they were the coward. Okay, maybe that is a little extreme. You don’t have to do that, but you should change their name in your phone to “DO NOT ANSWER”. When you pass them, say hi and keep on moving. Be happy that you didn’t waste any more precious time on them, after all, on to the next one.

Samantha Rhodes is a junior at Trinity College studying art history. An avid art lover, she loves to make trips to museums, long walks on the beach, and people who talk with their hands. Baking takes up most of her free time, and doesn't hurt her social circle either.