The Struggle of Being a Dog Lover When Your Friends Aren’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

This is seriously the SOML! Some might peg me as obsessed with dogs, but I like to describe it as a very strong love and appreciation for all animals. Recently there has been an increase of dogs on campus. During any sporting event or time when parents are on campus there is an influx of dogs. I love this and get a little too excited. I could be described as a five year old dropped off at a birthday party by themselves, with uncontrolled access to candy. When I try to explain this to my non dog-loving friends I get an eye-roll and “oh Sarah really… you are comparing dogs to candy.” Well yes I am! 

The moment I see a puppy (because let’s be real, if you truly love dogs, all of them are affectionately referred to as puppy), I start doing the jog walk thing that you would do when you’re late to class in middle-school because running wasn’t allowed. As I am doing this attractive gait, I try to un-awkwardly make eye contact with the dog owner/walker, preparing them for my approach and inevitable friendship with their dog. I have zero interest in talking to the person. There is three things I want to know – age, name, and breed, otherwise I don’t care. My friends look on with embarrassment as this whole interaction takes place.  

I must admit that before I do this, I try to convince my friends that they to should also come say hi… of course this is unsuccessful but I still try every single time. I bring up all the good things about dogs, they are cute, and friendly, and super cute, and cuddly, and like really really cute. But for some reason this still does not work. I don’t get why, I mean people, there IS A DOG. There have been times when I have been lucky enough to find someone else to go ogle and baby talk the dog with me, however this is less common. Still, without a doubt, I go over and say hi with a huge smile on my face, offering the owner that if they for some reason don’t want the dog anymore I will happily take it on as my own. 

The other problem I run into is super cute photos that I find online… I mean that I see posted on Facebook. I most definitely do not google “cute puppy photos.” When I try to share these photos with my friends, expecting to elicit an “awwww,” I don’t ever get that response. Maybe a side glance and “oh…cute” but that’s about it. This is truly a struggle and can make my life very hard. 

Therefore I am quite thankful for the Dog Lovers Club, a place where I can share my “crazy” obsession with dogs and be labeled as normal! Because puppies rule and people drool…or whatever the saying is.         

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.