Signs You’re a History Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

1. You know that there’s an unspoken student divide: future graduate students vs. future lawyers. Nobody wins.

2. You have to deal with the one student in every class who thinks history is a fun, easy GPA booster. (At least 50% of the time they crash and burn.)

3. You know that all TV period dramas are horribly inaccurate, but you’re addicted to them anyway.

4. You have that one (or five, or ten) random historical issue(s) you’re always ready to fight about. (My biggest issue: when people use the terms ‘Byzantine’ and ‘late Roman’ interchangeably. Knock it off.)

5. … But you’ve learned to cover everything you say with qualifying language so that nobody can really call you out. (Welcome to academia.)

6. Interlibrary loan is your one true love.

7. Occasionally you have the opportunity to utilize your minimal Latin – whether it’s explaining your school’s motto or answering a trivia question.

8. You have some sort of opinion on the footnotes vs. endnotes debate, and you feel qualified to back it up.

9. Your friends and family send you every history joke they see online, even if it has nothing to do with what you’re studying. As an undergrad, you’ve already seen fifty Henry VIII memes. By now, you would be secretly disappointed if you weren’t their go-to person.

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.