Reflections on being a Double Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Coming into college I knew I wanted to be a psychology major and something else, but I was not positive on what I wanted my second major to be. I am not sure why but I always knew I would be a double major. Although it might seem daunting, if you find two subjects that you are truly passionate about and enjoy, it makes sense to study both intensely. After I took an intro class in both sociology and anthropology during my freshman year, I realized Anthro was meant to be my second major. PSA: take intro with Professor Husain- he rocks and I made him my advisor freshman year before even declaring my major. Although I knew Psychology was going to be my major, I had more of a love/hate relationship with the class. Let’s just say Intro to Psych was not my golden hour and sometimes you have a professor who you should never take a class with again. However, once I moved past my intro course, I slowly found the professors I did work well with and it made me love being a psychology major. Sometimes having to take the majors core requirements can be tough, but once you make it through those and have more class options you can really focus in on what interests you about your major. Take a class with Casserly if you are a psych major- she loves her job and makes you love what you are learning (plus she is great to talk to outside of class).  

I love psychology and the ability to learn in-depth about other people. Not to sound weird but I have always enjoyed sitting in a crowded room and quietly observing people’s interactions- I always joke with my friends when I make a comment about someone’s personality that I am a psych major for a reason. Even if the whole awkward crowded room thing does not appeal to you, psych gives you so many opportunities after graduation and does not pigeon hole you into one line of work. There is also such a wide variety of teachers in the psych department. Even when I had to take RDA, (I am not a math person), Professor Reuman was super willing to help and sat with me for as long as I needed, which is why I chose to take another class with him. I could propably write a whole essay about my favorite professors in the psychology department. Anselmi, Casserly, Reuman, Outten and so on… take a class with at least one of them…or all!

When it comes to the anthropology department, I pretty much feel the same about the faculty. All the professors I have had love what they are teaching and want to get to know you and help you. Although it can be frustrating, there is often not a right answer in anthropology. It definitely tests your analytical thinking and forces you to think outside the box. It also gives you the opportunity to learn about the many unique cultures in the world. If you love to travel like I do, a background in anthropology gives you a unique perspective when traveling. You have the ability to analyze a culture and try to understand the meaning behind their cultural actions. It also keeps you from being too much of a tourist in a foreign country because you want to adhere to their practices and social norms as much as possible.

Whether you choose to double major like me or pick one of these two majors you cannot go wrong! But obvs these are the BEST majors from an unbiased perspective…

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.