This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Think you can’t look cute in your winter outerwear? Think again, collegiettes! Many of us worry that wearing a puffer jacket makes us  fear we might be mistaken for a penguin waddling down the Long Walk. Here are some suggestions that will help you to avoid this conundrum of staying warm and being fashionable!

1.     First buy a long puffy jacket that has a built in belt or waistband, this gives you shape while covering a large section of your body. To avoid looking like a snowball stay clear of the short puffers, it will do nothing for any body type! Look for coats with a faux fur trim hood or collar for some extra style! Check out this great Alloy steal and Zara catch

2.     White is my favorite winter color. Invest in a great minimalist coat and stand out among the crowd of the typical black, navy and hunter colored jackets. This Zara wool coat is by far my favorite–so unbelievably chic and simple! You will have heads turning in no time.

3.     A bold statement coat is another great option. Pick a bright bold color like red or bright blue, or try a great print like leopard. Added bonus: right and loud on top makes everyone look slimmer on the bottom. Check out this adorable option from J.Crew.

4.     Fur anything is another popular winter trend. It does not matter whether it is real or faux, as long as you have styled it correctly it will turn any outfit glam! A vest is probably the best piece to invest in–layer it over thin quilted coats or thick cozy sweaters on milder days. However, fur earmuffs and trimmed gloves are another added luxury that keeps the cold away.

5.     For nighttime go for a sleek long blazer, which will be a posh touch to any jeans or party dress. It is the ultimate classic piece and essential to any wardrobe. My favorite spots to buy blazers are Zara and J.Crew.

6.     Also never forget to accessorize! Buy bold accessories like a knit-braided headband and chunky scarves. And invest in touch screen gloves so your hands don’t dry out when texting friends on the way to class.