Mugatunes Uncovered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

You may listen to their playlists on Soundcloud, follow them on Instagram, have recently purchased one of their limited edition t-shirts, or have simply seen the “#NoShittyMusic” stickers everywhere on campus from students’ laptops to the ceiling of the library. No matter how you know of them, it is no secret that Mugatunes has made their presence on campus – marking only the beginning for the music sharing company. 

I joined some of the founding fathers and leading lady of the musically enthused group at one of their weekly meetings where they gather to search new artists, post songs on their website, and collaborate future business ideas. 

Her Campus (HC): So, for those who may not know, what is Mugatunes?

Rob Gau: We’re not just a music blog, but an emerging music sharing company. 

R.j. Ugolik: Promoting a music sharing lifestyle.

HC: How dedicated are you to the business?

Rob: We hold weekly meetings with everyone. But there’s constant communication between us all. 

Drew Meagher: At least one person is working on the site all the time. Someone is blowing up the GroupMe.

R.j: 24 hours 

HC: How would you define “#NoShittyMusic?”

Rob: “#NoShittyMusic” is saying f* you to the radio. This is more on the routes of how people go about getting music now a day. You’ll go to music websites and blogs for certain types of music and it becomes a process. The concept takes into matter that there are so many genres – you don’t feel obligated to get a song. It’s that feeling you get when you are randomly on Sound Cloud and hear a song and you’re just like everyone needs to hear this song right now.  That’s kind of what “#NoShittyMusic” has become. 

Drew: It’s a mantra. 

Rosie Carroll: It’s pretty simple. That’s what we’re going to give you.

HC: You now have a new addition to the Mugatunes family – a lady in the house… 

Rob: Yeah and we are adding to that. We’re going to have someone who just posts music. Rosie also posts music and is now going be a board member. 

Rosie: Also known as RoseBud. 

HC: How else do you implement Trinity into Mugatunes?

Rob: We have three Trinity bands/DJs we’ve put on Mugatunes: Wolfpit and Herbie Hustle Hebert and BKAYE. So that’s been pretty cool being able to help promote up and coming artists who are also our friends on campus. 

HC: What are your post-graduation plans in regards to Mugatunes?

Drew: We’re in the process to applying to venture capitalist. 

R.j: Also looking to reach out to alumni. 

Drew: We are rigorously trying to turn a hobby into a job. 

HC: What are some things we can look forward to in the near future from Mugatunes?

Rob: We recently partnered with weare8.com Weare8 is a new social media platform that does music videos and pictures. They contacted us through a friend of a friend. But right now we are the only music company putting music on their site. 

It’s a brand new app and it’s something we are looking forward to.

Rosie: We’re also going to do email subscriptions soon!

Rob: Our end goal – to create our own music-sharing platform that changes the way people find music. 

HC: Overall, what would you say is most special about Mugatunes?

Drew: Every playlist is very polished. 

Rob: The playlists represent our culture and lifestyle that “#NoShittyMusic” entails. 

We also take song requests on our site which is pretty cool. 

R.j: We have musical ambassadors that are responsible for their favorite artists. You can go to our website and get no EDM music, if you so please. 

Drew: No algorithms. Everything’s human. By the people, for the people. 

Kat is a senior at Trinity College, majoring in American Studies with a concentration in Media and Communications and minoring in English. She serves as the Campus Correspondent for Trinity's chapter of Her Campus and also co-manages The Party of Two, a style blog that she shares with her twin. After graduation, Kat hopes to work in the fashion or editorial field. Apart from their blog, you can also follow Kat and Ash on their Instagram: @thepartyoftwo.