Johan Detter ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.
Major:
Economics

Year:
Senior

Hometown:
Malmö, Sweden

Other activities on campus? 
RA of High Rise and Ogilby, Head consultant at the helpdesk.

How long have you been playing squash? And how did you start?
Started when I was around 10 years old because my dad, brother and sister were playing. Ended up going with them to the courts to try it.

How does it feel to win another National Championship? 
It feels great! Especially being able to win as a captain during my last year at Trinity. The captains from last year never got another chance to prove themselves after losing. We worked really hard in the fall during captains practice so when we won I felt really relieved.

Do you plan on continuing your squash career? 
Nope, at least not professionally. If I end up living in NYC after I graduate I will probably keep playing recreationally. 

What were your pregame rituals? 
Two double-cheeseburgers. Preferably from McDonald’s

What makes this win different from the others? 
The fact that no one expected us to win

Best squash moment of Trinity career? 
When Juan Camillo Vargas won in the final this year.  That’s when the match turned and I knew we had a chance of winning.

Favorite part about being on a team at Trinity? 
The sense of family and comradery that comes from always having a bunch of great guys around you

Where can we find you on campus? 
Not at the squash courts from now on haha. Definitely need some time away from the squash courts. Probably on the quad as soon as it get’s a little warmer outside

Favorite late night song? 
Don’t You Worry Child by Swedish House Mafia (RIP). Not very original but I have to represent my country ;)

Photo Source: Hartford Courant