How to Survive Parents Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

We all LOVE having our parents on campus! It means free dinners and the potential to convince your parents that the over priced sweater at Free People is a necessity in your life. Also, if you do not have a car on campus it is an opportunity to have a break from seeing the same faces. There are so many cute restaurants in West Hartford and downtown Hartford. It is fun to explore with your parents and order whatever your heart desires because parents weekend is the time to treat yourself… I mean for your parents to treat you. 

Some of my favorite spots with my parents are:

Vinted Wine Bar: One of my favorite places in West Hartford; it is tappas styled servings but they have everything from Caprese Salad to Chicken and Waffles that you can pair with great wines.  

Carbone’s Ristorante: A little more off the beaten track, but their tableside making of the Cesar salad is fun to watch and all their food is delicious.

Besito Mexican: Another restaurant where you get to watch your food being made but here it is fresh guacamole.  

The Capital Grille: When in the mood to gorge yourself on delectable steaks, I would definitely recommend Capital Grille (they also have delicious sides!) 

Restaurant Bricco: Another delicious Italian restaurant where you will want to order every appetizer on the menu. 

Not only does West Hartford have prime eating spots there is also some great shopping that can be done: 

Oh La La Boutique has everything from fuzzy sweaters to fun going out tops and dresses. I love popping in here to add some life to my wardrobe. 

Second Time Around, although a consignment store, carries great articles of clothing and because of its location in West Hartford, my friends have found some great designer pieces barely used at a fabulous price. 

Lux Boutique, another cute place to check out for some unique pieces.  

Lululemon is also in West Hartford and because you can never have enough leggings and workout clothes to make people think you go the gym, it should definitely be a stop on the list. 

Staying on campus is also an option if the weather is nice. It is fun to walk around campus and enjoy the changing colors on the main quad while drinking a cup of coffee from one of the on-campus coffee spots. Enjoy the time you have with your parents or whatever family member is visiting you. Don’t forget to tell them you love them and remind them to come again soon, but only after you have had time to decompress and are ready to be treated to dinner again.  

For those that do not have parents coming this weekend it is a great time to get to know your friends parents. My parents have not been able to make it every year because of how far I lived, but it gave me time to hangout with friends and their family and become even closer with them. So don’t be sad because no matter what, parents or no parents, it is a fun weekend to chill and there are always other friends who are also solo during parents weekend.  

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.