How to Save Your Hair from Frizz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

April showers bring May flowers, as well as frizzy hair.  If you want to tame your mane during this wet seasona and hot summer to come, follow these tips

Make conditioner your new BFF

Conditioner can honestly make or break — what I like to do is not put too much in my hair, but I do leave it in for about 5 mintues while I shave, wash my body and face, etc.  Pay attention to the ends.  Also, post-shower, conditioner is still important.  Don’t forget to put in a powerful leave in conditioner, too.  That being said, don’t overwash hair either.  The thicker the hair, the less often it should be washed.  So, unless you have baby fine hair, step away from the shampoo (this also gives your natural oils a chance to moisturize the scalp.)

Invest in a Boar Bristle Brush

Boar Bristle brushes are by far the best kind for your hair.  They add a ton of shine since they properly distribute the natural oils in your hair, while also sealing the cutitle.  Keep in mind that these can pricey!

Stay Away from Chemical Treatments

Relaxers, perms, dye jobs — stay away!  These do nothing but absolutely destroy your hair and will do permenant damage.  These products lead to breakage and make your hair brittle and lose its luster.  Same goes for hot tools: if it can blister your skin, it’s damaging your hair.  Always chose a blow dryer over a flat iron or curling iron.  With the proper skills, a blow dryer can do pretty much what a flat iron and curling iron can do; check out youtube tutorials if you don’t believe me.  

Use the Right Prodcuts

Hair serums, deep conditioners, masks, they are your best friends.  It’s all about the mositurizing.  I use a hair serum daily, I like the Moroccanoil treatment in light (since I have very thin hair, but the light is also great for light colored hair.)  In addition, use deep conditioners or hair masks once a week.  If you want to get crafty, use coconut oil!