photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

How to Be Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Here it comes! The holiday you’ve either been excitedly anticipating or passionately dreading for months: Valentine’s Day. If you’re thinking about this Sunday with the heart eyes emoji in mind because you have a significant other, stop reading now. This article is not for you. If you’re still reading this and you’re not single, you should probably stop if you don’t want to get jealous of all the stuff we’ll be able to get away with that you can’t. Single girls, you’ve actually got quite a bunch of perks on Valentine’s Day. Lucky you! Here are just a few things you can do on V Day that all your friends who are so unfortunately Facebook official cannot:

Sleep in as late as you want. You’ve got nowhere to be, and you don’t have to make your special someone breakfast in bed. You are your own special someone, and you deserve your own damn eggs, bacon, and REM cycle.

Stay in pajamas and procrastinate showering until 3pm or later. You have no love interests to impress today, so you really don’t need to make yourself presentable. And when you do finally shower, you don’t have to feel obligated to shave your entire body until you feel like a hairless cat.

Binge watch Netflix for literally hours on end. Hint: Avoid romantic comedies. Today is not the day for that.

Buy yourself stuff you actually like instead of pretending that this weird silver flower necklace he bought you is the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen. You don’t need that in your life, and you don’t have to feel pressured to wear it every day to prove your love.

Text and Snapchat anyone and everyone without making your sig oth jealous. You wanna send a selfie to ten of your fave guy friends/exes cause you’re honestly just feeling your look today? Do it. You’re not gonna get in trouble with anybody.

Make dinner plans with all your friends without having to coordinate an awk double date or an isolated one-on-one with random footsies. You can eat as much as you want; nobody’s going to silently judge you. Note: If anyone tries to invite their boyfriend to your gal pal dinner date, they should be immediately uninvited. Eye sex at the table is unwelcome today, unless it’s between you and your hot waiter.

Take up as much bed space as you want that night. You don’t have to share with anybody so you can stretch out and take up all the prime real estate. Nobody’s gonna ask you to move your huge pillow pile to make room either. Your interior decorating skills can stay put.

The day after Valentine’s Day (unofficially crowned Discount Candy Day), buy yourself chocolates on chocolates on chocolates in heart-shaped boxes. Eat all of them in one sitting if you want. You’re worth it girlfriend. Just do you.

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.