Hillel Board Member (and HC Trin’s) Molly Schineller ’18 on Pink Shabbat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Molly Schineller ’18, along with David Linden ’16 and Simona Fried ’16, organized one of Trinity College Hillel’s biggest events of the year- Pink Shabbat. Read more about the dinner and the other events Hillel puts on year roudn (And as Molly says, you’d don’t have to be Jewish to participate)!

What is Pink Shabbat?

Pink Shabbat is a dinner banquet event hosted every year by the Hillel House to fundraise for a breast cancer organization called Sharsheret. Sharsheret means “chain” in Hebrew, and it is a not-for-profit organization that works to form “chains” of support for Jewish women diagnosed with breast cancer, their families, or those at genetic risk of a diagnosis.

How were students involved this year?

We had involvement from many influential organizations on campus this year. Kappa Kappa Gamma baked pink challah bread, Kappa Sigma served dinner and helped decorate Hamlin Hall, and both groups sold t-shirts at Mather and collected donations for Sharsheret. The Quirks performed two songs at the event. In addition, WGRAC, EROS, The Ivy Society, Ski Team, La Voz Latina, and the Charleston House each bought t-shirts to support the event.

What other events does Hillel put on?

Hillel has a Shabbat dinner every Friday, and most have fun themes similar to Pink Shabbat. We have Sushi in the Sukkah with the iHouse, a pride meal with EROS, and lots of other ones every week! We also have brunches several times throughout the year. All Hillel events are open to all (i.e. YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE JEWISH!)

Why is this an important event for Trinity?

To be honest, Trinity only has a 12% Jewish student population, and typically that 12% doesn’t all come to Hillel events. Pink Shabbat is an event that has extremely high attendance, to the point where it’s overflowed Hamlin Hall in past years. It’s really good to get people involved with Hillel, and Pink Shabbat is a great way to do that for an incredible cause.

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.