Good Eats in Hartford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Where to go when you want cheap, delicious, and greasy food to satisfy your hangover…

Sloppy Waffles:    

Although you can walk in whenever, you might have to wait a few minutes because the inside is pretty small. However, there is an outdoor patio, reserved for nicer weather. The biggest downside to this place is that they are cash-only, but they do have an ATM on-site! Great for Saturday and Sunday mornings…

The atmosphere of Sloppy Waffles is comparable to your Momma’s kitchen—you order right at the window (just like you do at home, right?!) and they bring you your food. The options are pretty limitless and the waffles are incredible.

What to order:

Playing it safe: PB&J Waffles, Strawberries and Cream Waffles

If you can stomach it: Apple Cobbler (INCREDIBLE), Speculous Cookie Dough Spread 

If you don’t want waffles: The Louie Special

Location: 2551 Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT; 14 minute drive from campus

Hours: Tuesday- Sunday: 7 a.m. -2:30 p.m. 

Where to go when you want a great lunch or dinner and just can’t eat at Mather again…

Treva Restaurant & Bar: 

Treva is usually pretty empty in the afternoon, so you shouldn’t need to make a reservation. This restaurant is perfect for a last minute decision. However, if you’re feeling ambitious, they do take reservations on OpenTable!

The ambiance at Treva is comfortable, even slightly upscale at dinnertime. When you go for lunch, you can get away and dive into the divine cuisine. It’s great for a date-night or a quick lunch with friends.

What to order:

Appetizers: Known for their sliced meats and Italian cheese collection

Lunch: Porcheta Panini, Tonnarelli Cacio e Pepe (Pasta), Pettine (Scallops)

Dinner: Maltagliati, Risotto, Merluzzo

Sides: Brussels Sprouts and Creamy Polenta 

*Their pastas are incredible*

Location: 980 Farmington Ave, West Hartford, CT; 12 minute drive from campus

Hours: Monday-Thursday: 11:30-10; Friday-Saturday: 11:30-11; Sunday: 11-10 

Where to go when you want a delicious burger and phenomenal appetizers…

Max Burger : 

Whether it is 5pm on a Tuesday night or 10 pm on a Saturday night, Max Burger is always packed.  Unfortunately, they don’t take reservations for smaller parties, but they will take your call ahead.

The ambiance of the restaurant is a kid-friendly bar/pub with ample seating and great artwork. It’s great for a night out with friends or simply a casual meal.

What to order:

Appetizers: Candied Bacon Lollipops, Pulled Pork Springrolls, Spinach Artichoke Dip

Entrees: Miss Daisy, The Grateful Veg, Chicken Cob Salad

Sides: Onion Rings or Sweet Potato Fries

Warning: All burgers are full of flavor, juicy, and contain just the perfect amount of toppings. Everything is cooked to perfection.

Location: 124 LaSalle Road, West Hartford, CT; 13 minute drive from campus

Hours:  Lunch: Monday-Sunday: 11:30-5, Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5-10:30; bar until 1 a.m.; Friday-Saturday: 5-11:30; bar until 2 a.m.; Sunday: 5-9:30 

Where to go when your parents take you out to dinner…

Firebox Restaurant:

I recommend making a reservation prior to your dinner because it is very popular and can fill up quickly (especially during Parents weekend!).

The décor is rustic and comfortable – perfect for a cozy date or a family meal. The space is small but inviting.

This Farm-to-Table eatery changes its menu seasonally, based on what is freshest out in the Hartford community. Firebox only buys from local farms, within a 100-mile radius. The only downside to this is that if you find your favorite dish, you might have to wait a year to indulge in it again!

Location: 539 Broad Street, Hartford, CT; 5 minute drive from campus

Hours: Monday-closed; Lunch: Tuesday-Friday: 11:30-2:30; Dinner: 5:30-10; Saturday Dinner: 5:30-10; Sunday brunch: 11-2; Dinner: 4:30-8:30

American Studies Major at Trinity College