Different Types of Acne (and how to treat it)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Acne sucks.  Whenever I have a big event coming up, it’s like pimples know – they pop right up just when you least want them to.  With acne, there’s different types and depending on the type of pimple it is, that changes how you should be treating them. 

First, let’s start with face mapping.  I discovered face mapping about a year ago and it made me realize why I was getting pimples in certain places.  For example, if you’re noticing a lot of acne between your eyebrows (in your T-zone) then it’s probably due to all that dranking you did on Halloweekend…

For the acne that does show up, there are different types and treatments:

1. Whiteheads

By far the ugliest pimples ever.  It’s what it sounds like: when the pimple is topped off with a white spot.  Usually these are the ones we go for in terms of popping and sometimes that works out, but be very careful with that.  If you chose to pop them, make sure you’ve washed your hands and don’t use your nails, but rather your fingers.  Push the skin inwards and upwards and try not to push it to a point where you start bleeding.

2. Blackheads

A blackhead is kind of like a whitehead, only blackheads are open blemishes while whiteheads are closed (hence the pop!)  They’re basically dirt and oil clogged pores.  Boire’s pore strips are a gift from God, just make sure to pull them off slowly!

3. A Blind Pimple

Love these! They’re super painful and so difficult to treat!  These form under the skin and other than a bump there’s no real evidence of a pimple – at least in the early stages.  When it’s like this, this is the best time to treat them.  They usually form into a whitehead later on and you can just follow the steps for treating a whitehead.  For the early stages, icing helps to reduce redness.  Ice it like you would an injury with time on time off for about an hour.  Chug water and make sure to get some sleep.  You can always sleep with a clay mask on (this works and I usually spot treat rather than covering my whole face) and the pimple will be reduced by morning.

4. Papules

These are pimples that are red and have no pus at all.  Usually they’re red and filled with fluids.  Any product with benzoyl peroxide should do the trick.  Don’t pop these, you’ll only irritate them and make it so much worse.  Psssstthis stuff works!

5. Pustules

These are pretty hard to treat.  They’re usually huge and swollen (basically a papule that morphed into a pustule.  Great.)  They look like whitehead with a red ring around the base.  However, picking these can cause scarring so don’t do that.

6. Cysts and nodules

These fall under chronic acne and only your dermatologist can save you now.

Little things can help ease the pains of acne, like

• twice daily face washing (no more than twice!  More than that will cause excessive oil production which you 100% don’t want.) 
  • changing your pillow case(s) once a week
  • showering after exercising, don’t stew in your sweat all day
  • eating clean – eat your salad
  • and coming to terms with the fact that, on your period, you will get acne – we feel you, girl.