6 Reasons to be Patriotic This Fourth of July

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Our country isn’t plastered in star-spangled banners for no reason. The flag that adorns front porches, crop tops, and phone cases galore is an icon of American patriotism, and a visual representation of our gratitude for freedom. Lucky for us, we have a whole holiday to brag about it! This Fourth of July, let’s sit back and remember a few reasons why we can.

1. Equality

As the Supreme Court ruling that just came out (pun intended) states, gay marriage has officially been legalized in all fifty states! While this push may not be truly recognized and supported by each American citizen (cough cough, some churches in the South), and it still does not tackle all the varying inequality issues of our time, the ruling is undeniably a huge step towards equality for all orientations and races.

2. Selflessness

While the majority of Americans sit around getting jealous of each other on Instagram and discussing little things like whether or not chokers are really “in”, there are American soldiers out there training and fighting everyday to protect the security of this nation. The selflessness and strength of these individuals cannot be ignored, and it’s important to remind yourself how much they give every single day for this country to be the way it is.

3. Awareness

We’ve all been taken over sometime in the past decade by the rapidly growing power of social media and, while much of its use is mindless and addictive, recently it’s been used to spread awareness of vast issues. Kickstarter campaigns to raise money for medical bills and fundraising videos for issues like ALS and suicide are just a few examples of ways our country has gotten involved and used the Internet to help others. (You can also thank American social media for your ability to Facebook-stalk all your exes, if that’s more your cup of tea.)

4. Representation

The women’s rights movement has unfortunately always been a bit slow, only making small and subtle gains along the way. Recently though, American beauty companies have begun to advertise women in a stronger and more respectful light and, to make even bigger strides, we have a female candidate for the 2016 presidential election! #YesAllWomen. Feminism has progressed a lot as of late, and America will continue to play a large role in this movement going forward.

5. Cooperation

Other countries around the world were hit hard with Ebola this year, and although it was not detectable in America in more than a few cases, many representatives from medical and governmental organizations in the States journeyed towards the struggling countries to lend a helping hand. They risked their lives and health by traveling out to participate in relief efforts; this bold gesture is absolutely classic of the cooperative behavior that has always been a part of the American way.

6. Style

Um, how could I make a list of reasons to be proud of America without mentioning 1989? Taylor Swift just came out with an amazing album, and I think it’s secretly a fantastic collection of songs to jam to while celebrating the beauty of this country as a whole. We’ve always had Style as a country, always do our best to to eradicate Bad Blood with others, and seem to be leaving a Blank Space to fill in with whatever great things we do next! So while you’re drinking by the lake and setting off fireworks with your closest friends, try to remember why you do it. This holiday is an outpouring of pride for everything this wonderful nation is now, and what it will be in the future. Happy Fourth of July!

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.