3 Trends to Wear from NYFW Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Since last weekend, I’ve been obsessively stalking the social media channels of every single friend, blogger or celebrity who has been lucky enough to attend the most high-profile event of the season: New York Fashion Week. Amidst scrolling through glossy photos of models decked out in clothes and accessories to die for, I can’t help but feel more than just a little jealous that people out there get to be surrounded by the likes of Zac Posen and Alexander Wang. I pictured myself sitting at the front row of Rebecca Minkoff wearing those quirky 3-D sunglasses that everyone who attended were given, taking a selfie with Zosa Mamet (Shosh from Girls, anyone?) for the world to see. Yes, I’m totally delusional, but hey, that could be me one day. This round of Fashion Week showcased designers’ Spring/Summer 2015 collections, and since summer just ended, next year’s sunny season seems like eons away. However, I picked out three trends that have been picking up pace over the last month and seem destined to stick around for a while. The best part is, you can even incorporate these into your fall ensemble with the right pieces. Here’s my roundup of my 3 top picks from NYFW:

1.     Gingham/Plaid

No longer exclusive to picnic tablecloths, this versatile print has been making waves on the scene lately. Diane Von Furstenberg and Oscar de la Renta were just a couple of famous labels who chose to feature it on their runways, and I’m positive we’re going to see a lot of more of this trend in the upcoming months. Don’t be shy to venture out of flannel territory – gingham and plaid can be worked into anything from dresses to jackets, and even bottoms. To avoid the print being too overbearing, keep the rest of your outfit simple with neutral or black pieces.

1)     Apple Pie Bar Dress, Stelly,

2)     Check Blazer, Sabo Skirt,

3)     High-Waisted Plaid Shorts, Forever21

4)     After Party Vintage Tried And True Flannel – Forest Green, NastyGal

1.     The Midriff Cut-Out / Two-Piece Dress

We’ve all seen the crop top trend flourish over the summer, and I couldn’t be happier to see it evolve into midriff-baring cutout dresses. More recently, the hemlines have been getting bolder, and two-piece dress has been taking centerstage. If you’re feeling a little more conservative, go down the path that Prabal Gurung took and opt for a cutout that shows less skin.

1)     Ombre Purple Dress, Hello Molly

2)     Fashion Union Floral Print Dress with Cut Outs, Asos

3)     No Strings Attached Dress, Tobi

4)     Under Wraps Dress, Nasty Gal

3. Splashes of Citrus

1.     Keep it Simple Blouse in Yellow , Necessary Clothing

2.     Textured Crop Jacket in Tangerine, Topshop

3.     Two-Ply Trousers in Pistachio, Zara

4.     Marion Mini Round Bag, Karen Walker

When life gives you lemons….get inspired by them. 3.1 Phillip Lim had me swooning over the pops of citrus that appeared in his collection, and there’s no reason not to include these vibrant shades in your fall wardrobe. Not only do yellow or orange instantly add a burst of color to your outfit, but they’re also excellent for color-blocking (bonus points if you have this trend under your belt!). I personally like to pair these colors with white and navy, but feel free to mix it up with prints like florals, polkadots and geometrics.

The spoils of New York Fashion Week may have just ended, but that doesn’t mean you can’t rock the runway. Go ahead, try a new style – you won’t regret it.

Kat is a senior at Trinity College, majoring in American Studies with a concentration in Media and Communications and minoring in English. She serves as the Campus Correspondent for Trinity's chapter of Her Campus and also co-manages The Party of Two, a style blog that she shares with her twin. After graduation, Kat hopes to work in the fashion or editorial field. Apart from their blog, you can also follow Kat and Ash on their Instagram: @thepartyoftwo.