15 Things I Wish Someone Told Me As An Incoming Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

1. Don’t even bother with the Mather 19 Meal Plan… go on Flex immediately.

2. If you are taking a class that meets once a week, create a time management plan and stick to it- don’t save your week’s worth of readings for the night before.

3. Go to the gym.

4. Try and maintain a normal-ish sleep schedule.

5. Drink Emergen-C. College is a breeding ground for germs and you will get sick.

6. Ask your parents to give you Bantam Bucks so you don’t spend all of your money on coffee at Peter B’s or The Underground.

7. If you’re sick or hurt go to the health center- they’re wonderful there and even if there’s nothing wrong with you it will be reassuring.

8. Your friend group in September most likely won’t be your friend group for the next four years- don’t be afraid to branch out and meet new people.

9. Be open to people you wouldn’t normally be friends with, and viewpoints that counter your own- you can learn the most from the people you disagree with.

10. Don’t worry about what classes you think you “should” take. Take random classes that seem interesting to you, especially if you have no idea what you want to major in. You will likely surprise yourself.

11. If you have friends that live in North, go hang out with them- why should they always have to make the effort to come to your side of campus?

12. Get involved right away- join a bunch of clubs and see what you like.

13. Hartford Has It- explore the city! (Not everything good is in WeHa) Some of my favorite places are El Mercado on Park Street, the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Bushnell Park, and Trumbull Kitchen.

14. Go to the Cinestudio- You can see major films for much cheaper and you don’t even have to leave campus!

15. Take advantage of the random guest speakers that come during common hour or in the evening- they can be really interesting and informative!