Why “The DUFF” Movie is a Horrible Idea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Okay, so I have not seen or read The DUFF and I have no intention to. If you aren’t aware of the film I’m discussing, it’s called The DUFF, which stands for The Designated Ugly Fat Friend. It stars Mae Whitman as the DUFF, Bianca. Here, we reach one of our issues. Besides the meaning behind DUFF being incredibly offensive, Whitman is not ugly NOR is she fat.  In one of the trailers, the main male (who, by the way, literally calls Bianca “Duffy”) tries to explain that a DUFF doesn’t actually have to be fat OR ugly, it’s just a name that sticks.

This brings me to our second issue. There are so many ways out there to bring people down today. Not only is this movie bringing another thing for one person to call another person, it’s bringing to the attention of people that this new stereotype exists. The DUFF. And someone will think, well, maybe I’m that stereotype. And that, I think, is the worst of all.

Can we also discuss this movie’s tagline? “Either you know one, you have one, or you are one.” This suggests that in every friend group, there is a designated ugly fat friend. This is just plain false. 

I understand that this movie (I know that it is also a book, but the movie is bringing the issue into the mainstream) will probably end with some goofy heartfelt speech, the DUFF will realize that she’s not ugly or fat, she’ll stand up to the mean girl, she’ll get the hot guy she has a crush on, and she’ll overturn the social ladder, and honestly, that’s great. That is a feel-good Hollywood ending. But the concept of this whole “DUFF” thing just sticking and becoming a part of culture and being a thing that people actually think about each other (not like they haven’t before, but like, come on, don’t give in an acronym) just stinks.

That’s why I’m calling everyone who’s reading this to action: DON’T MAKE DUFF A THING!!! Please. It doesn’t need to be a thing. If you think this movie looks funny or cute, by all means, go see it, but please make a conscious effort to not make “DUFF” be a part of modern culture. Everyone is beautiful in their own right and there doesn’t need to be an acronym to make beautiful, wonderful people feel bad about themselves. Just be kind and remember to always treat others how you want to be treated! 

I do film and I love equality and Pinterest and also coffee.