True Girl Stories: Emily Grieser

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Introducing our new feature, True Girl Stories. We have interviewed s0me of Towson’s most successful and interesting students, alumni, and professors, but so often than not the stories we hear that inspire us the most are from you. That’s exactly what True Girl Stories is about, the stories that all of us have. Let’s learn from each other.

I’ve known Emily Grieser a long time. We went to high school together before college and met while we both spun flags in the colorguard. Even back then she was one of the most dedicated, hardest-working people I knew. 

Today, Emily is a junior at Towson University majoring in history education. After maxing out her credits a few semesters and taking multiple winter and summer classes, Emily is on track to graduate in four years next May. She also works 25 hours a week at a daycare in Howard County. During her freshmen and sophmore years she was on the executive board for the Habitat for Humanity club.  She achieves nearly perfect grades. She also  fully supports herself; she pays for her tutition, rent, food, gas, and “fun things.” Sounds pretty amazing? It is to me!

HCTU: What is your job like?

Emily Grieser (EG): My junior year I began working about 25 hours a week at a daycare in Howard County, where I used to work in the summer. The commute on 695 is rough, but I get a lot back from working with [my] kids. I work one-on-one with a kid with autism. He is one of my favorite people!

HCTU: What do you like about Towson?

EG: When I came in I was an education major, but I was never as passionate about it as I am now. Towson is one of the greatest education schools you could go to. The teachers are wonderful, our history department is amazing and I feel like I learn a lot. Obviously, you can get this at other universities as well, but just the fact that we are 10 minutes away from the great metropolis of Baltimore is great. People don’t really appreciate what it can do for you.

HCTU: With everything going on in your life, how do you manage it?

EG: You have to have good time management, unfortunately I am not involved in any student groups anymore. I go to school in the morning from about 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and then I drive to work. I get home at about 7 p.m. and instead of laying around I make dinner and I do my homework. I keep the weekends to myself. Friday night and Saturday are for me and I do stuff for myself. Sundays I try to get back to my routine and get up earlier. You should always have one day you get to sleep in and Saturday is that day for me!

HCTU: Do you think because you’ve had to support yourself and manage going to school  and working it has made you a more dedicated student?

EG: I don’t think it makes me more dedicated, I’ve always been a dedicated student because I’ve always wanted to do well for myself. I am the first person in my family to go to college. I want to do well for me and my family to show my younger cousins and younger sisters that you can do well and college helps. I think its taught me life skills and student skills. I’ve learned excellent time management skills and organization. You succeed so much more in life when you are an organized person.

HCTU: What advice do you have for younger freshmen students?

EG: Party now while you are a younger Towson student because it gets harder. I know for  education when we start student teaching we are at our schools at 7 a.m. so we’re not going to Rec Room the night before until 2 a.m. and then waking up at 5 a.m., especially if we have to commute on 695. I can tell you that it is hard and we’re not doing that. But I also say that college is fun and you shouldn’t let it fly by. You shouldn’t just do work, but if you have to work make the most of it and do a job you love. Don’t do a job you hate.

HCTU: What is your dream job?

EG: I’d like to teach an in area where most people don’t, whether it be in the inner city or a third world country or somewhere else. I’d like to do more than just teach, but help them better their lives. (In third world countries) the percentage of girls that go to school is awful. It’s absolutely heart-wrenching. It’s like 30 percent of girls get higher than a 4th grade education. I’m in my 3rd year of college so I’m very grateful.

HCTU: How do you support yourself?

EG: I pay for school with loans.  I pay for my apartment and my utilities and fun things with my work money. I think (putting myself through school) has taught me a lot of lessons. I think it makes me more appreciative. I want to be able to pay for my kids to go to school because if you put 100% into schoolwork,  you can do anything. I don’t put 100% in because I can’t. Putting 100% into things is what makes you a more successful person. So I’d like to put 100% into a job and 100% into my family. 

HCTU: Anything else you’d like to tell to Towson students?

EG: Definitely get involved and stay involved. Don’t do what I did. Major in something you love, don’t major in something you think you should do or you think will get you a job or make you money. Major in something that you love to do. I think that will make your experience that much better. 

Do you know a Towson student who is just plain awesome? Email the name, a short bio, and contact information to alexandrapannoni@hercampus.com.

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.