samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips and Tricks for Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Yes, it’s almost that time again: finals week. Generally at this point in the semester I’m not sure if I should run, cry, or consider dropping out. Here are some tips that’ll help you have a successful finals week.

1. Make sure you know the dates of your finals, and then double check.

I know this sounds pretty basic, but the whole point of studying for finals…is so you can go take your finals and pass them! Thus, knowing the dates and times of your finals are crucial. As easy as this may sound, I know more than a few people who got their finals dates/times confused and missed them. Most professors are extremely strict about final exams and won’t take “I had the wrong time!” or “I had the wrong day!” as an excuse. Confirm your dates and then write it down someplace safe, and someplace you can see it. Put it in your planner, put it on your white board, put a reminder on your phone, and set your alarms accordingly.

2. Be clear about what’s on the exam.

Is it cumulative? Will it cover the last few chapters of the class? Knowing what’s on the exam is crucial because it gives you a general idea of what you need to study. You don’t want to waste your time studying for chapter four when chapter four won’t even be on the exam. Look at the syllabus, and go the extra step by talking to your professor to confirm what material the exam will cover.

3. Make a study schedule

One semester I took 18 credits. It wasn’t bad, except for when finals week came and I had 6 finals to study for. YIKES. No matter if you have the minimum amount of classes or the maximum, making a study schedule will definitely help you. Go on your computer and print out a calendar template for the month. Write down the days and times of your exams on the calendar. Personally, I like to color code my calendar and I write each class/exam in a different color. Then reasonably space out the material you have to study for each class and write it down on the calendar. Organizing what you have to study helps prevent cramming because you’ll know you have enough time to cover everything. This is also a good time to decide what material you need to study the most, so you can dedicate more time to it.

4. Make sure you have everything you need.

Make sure you have everything you need for successful study time. Always take advantage of the exam study material your professor gives out, because (most times, anyway) that’s a pretty good example of what’s going to be on the exam. If your teacher didn’t make a study guide, make on yourself so you don’t have to spend time deciding what to study. Avoid having to go to the store during studying by making sure you have what you need beforehand. Make sure you have batteries for your calculator, study snacks, food for meals, highlighters, etc.

5. GET ENOUGH REST.

Whether it be sleeping, or just taking a break from studying in general. If you’re like me, sleep is sometimes a foreign concept during finals week. Anytime I’m not studying I feel guilty, so sleeping is out of the question. I’ve also learned that pulling all nighters and hyping myself up on energy drinks is a sure way to crash and burn. This is where your study schedule comes into play. Schedule some time for sleep! Avoiding sleep and trying to cram all your studying into one or two nights will be stressful on you. Although it may not feel like it during finals week, you’re a living human being and you need sleep.

6. Let it be.

Do your best on your final, and when it’s over let it be. After people finish their finals I often see them constantly checking online and being in an overall state of worry over how they did. It’s normal to worry, but once your final is over, it’s over. Be positive! Have some faith in yourself.  Instead of assuming you did terrible, assume you actually did pretty well. Finals week is already stressful, don’t let finals stress you out after the finals are done and over with! Be proud of yourself for trying your best and try to focus on preparing for your other finals. 

A lover of life.
Her Campus

Towson '25