Summer Make-Up Tips for Oily Skin!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Ah, summer: the beach, the sun, the heat…THE SWEAT. If you’ve got combination/oily skin, you also know that summer means an oily face times ten. However, hot weather doesn’t mean you have to stop wearing make-up! Here are a few tips to keep your beatness oil-free.

1.     Always start on a fresh, clean face.

Before applying any make-up, always start with a clean face. By doing this you can avoid applying make-up over oil that has already surfaced on your face, which could cause break-outs. You can use something as simple as a washcloth and a bar of soap, or your favorite face cleanser. I use Clinique’s Liquid Facial Soap.

2.     Moisturizing is a major key.

After washing your face, you always want to moisturize. You might think moisturizing would just amplify your oily skin, but oil doesn’t moisturize! Prior to putting on make-up, those with oily skin should aim to use an oil free moisturizer to help combat shine. When moisturizing before putting on make-up, you should use something light to moisturize so that your skin doesn’t suffocate. 

3.     PRIME IT.

Using a primer before applying make-up allows for a smooth application. Think of your face as a blank canvas, and you as the artist. For oily skin, primer can also be an extra step to fight against oiliness. Look for an oil free primer, such as NYX’s Shine Killer. I use Laura Mercier’s Oil Free Foundation Primer before putting on make-up and it makes a huge difference in how oily I get.

4.     Choose a good foundation.

Choosing an oil free foundation for the summer is probably your best bet to minimize oil. However, if you don’t want to change your foundation I recommend using a mattifying powder to set your liquid foundation with. A powder over your make-up is another barrier for oil to get through.

5.     Finish it off!

After applying your make-up, you want to set with a finishing spray. Finishing spray holds your make-up in place. This is especially important for those with oily skin in the summer, because sometimes it feels like your make-up is literally sliding off of your face. Avoid finishing sprays that give an “illuminating” or “dewy” finish, they most likely will amplify your skin if it does become too oily. My favorite setting spray is currently NYX’s Makeup Setting Spray (Matte).

6.     Last but not least…

Blotting papers! These are inexpensive and highly effective. Using a blotting paper to get rid of excess oil is a quick way to fight back against oil. Instead of applying multiple layers of powder, avoid looking too cakey and use a blotting paper to absorb oil. Blotting papers can be found nearly anywhere, and usually cost no more than $5 per pack. 

I hope my tips helped, and I wish you an oil free summer!

A lover of life.
Her Campus

Towson '25