Summer Bucket List 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

I’m from the Jersey Shore, so my idea of summer is a busy tourist season working late nights on the bustling boardwalk. I am definitely guilty of not taking it slow and enjoying summer to the fullest before the semester creeps up. So here’s a bucket list that I’m making myself stick you and I think you should try it out too!

1.       Travel

Whether it’s visiting family or going on a road trip, pack up and set out on an adventure to explore an unfamiliar place.

2.       Go to a concert

If you have the means, ball out and go to a music festival like Bonnaroo or Governor’s Ball. If you’re looking for something less pricey, check out your favorite band’s tour dates and see if there are any shows near you. Artists like Kanye West and Vampire Weekend love keeping their fans on their toes with impromptu concerts.

3.       Read an entire series

It’s easy to get sucked into watching an entire season of a Netflix show in one day. Trust me, I know. Re-direct that energy into reading an entire book series. Call me old-fashioned, but I still think there’s nothing better than reading about something you’re actually interested in as opposed to being forced to read about anatomy and physiology.

4.       Try a new form of exercise

Sometimes in the school year, we get caught up with classes and other extracurricular activities that we forget to take care of ourselves. Detox this summer and find a work out that best fits your lifestyle that you could continue throughout the semester.

5.       Pamper yourself

Treat yo’self to a facial or DIY. They may not be visible now but those stress lines are going to appear sooner or later.

6.       Drive less

Soak up the sun, save gas and walk/bike to your next destination.

7.       Breathe

Enjoy every moment of summer. If you’re having a crappy night at work and the restaurant is packed and you’re understaffed, as French Montana would say, don’t panic. If you run out of gas in the middle of the highway halfway across the country and there isn’t any civilization in sight, it’s not as dire as it seems. These are the moments in life you’ll look back on later and laugh. Life has a way of working itself out. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. 

Jai-Leen James is a senior at Towson University majoring in Mass Communications with concentrations in Journalism & New Media while and minoring in Electronic Media and Film.  She aspires to have a career in broadcasting. In addition to being a contributing writer for Her Campus, Jai-Leen plays club field hockey and club women’s lacrosse. She is the Vice President of Towson's chapter of the National Broadcast Society and an active member of WMJF, the student-run television station on campus. When she’s not busy participating in her various activities, Jai-Leen enjoys eating, watching The Office, and going to music festivals. Follow her on Twitter! @j_james17