Spring 2013 Nail Polish Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Winter is ending and Spring is near. New nail polish trends are starting to appear everywhere! Last spring and summer the nail trend was neon colors such as hot pink and bright greens and yellows. I hate to say it but that’s officially out. Here are some of the newest nail trends that are truly the best accessory a girl can have!

Nudes and Baby Pink

In the newest runway shows such as Marc Jacobs and Dolce & Gabbana, soft and milky shades such as baby pinks and nude colors are exploding. Although these nail colors are not as bold, it makes the statement “less is more” ring true. One of my favorites is “Ballet Slippers” by Essie. Two coats is just the right amount and gives the fingers a elegant and soft look to them. If you want a baby pink with some sparkle in it, try Nicole by OPI’s “Kim-pletely in Love”. 

Greys and Purples

While many designers are going for the natural look, other designers make a bold statement with dark purples and taupey shades such as in Jason Wu’s newest spring runway show. My absolute favorite to use is Sally Hansen’s “Grey Area” This matte shade stays on my nails forever with little chipping and it really is the perfect color. It’s the perfect grey color with puple undertones. If you want to spice this color up, you can always add some sparkle to it for fun. 

Lots and lots of glitter

I truly believe sparkles and glitter are always in fashion, but maybe I am just biased. Whether it is a thin top coat of a sparkley color or just one glitter accent nail, they definitley add a pop to your nails. I also like a metallic silver or gold, such as Nicol by OPI’s “The Next CEO”. It is easy to apply and looks quite pretty. A nice glitter top coat is Covergirl’s “Gold Rush”. I sometimes use this on the tips of another nail color or even as an accent nail. 

So girls, I hope you learned something new! Have fun with these colors. The possibilties are endless!

Until next time,

Jeanne

Hi, my name is Jeanne and I am Junior at Towson University.I am studying Mass Communication and EMF and will hopefully graduate within the next two years.This spring I will be studying abroad in Sunderland, England.I love singing and writing songs with my twin sister, playing with makeup and hair, and painting my nails. I also love spending time with family and friends.
Her Campus

Towson '25