This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Classes are back in session. The days seem disproportionately shorter compared to the summer days that seemed to go on and on whilst simultaneously going by at the speed of light. We actually have to study again. And go to class. And do homework! It’s tough to get back into the swing of things, but it is a worthwhile place to end up in. While you adjust to not finding decent vegetables to put into your body on campus, throwing your sleep schedule out the door, and coming to the realization that your mother insisting you drank water constantly as a child was not friendly advice but something your body demands and craves, it is important to stay on top of your work!

Everyone loves music, right? I listen to music as much as possible — if I could be able to hear music while I was sleeping in my dreams, I would turn music on for that, too. Getting lost in a song or an album gives your mind so many chances to relax and escape from your current reality, and sometimes that is exactly what your mind needs when simultaneously being forced to read half of a book for class.

Here are 6 of light-hearted, go-to songs for studying:

1) Britney Spears – Clumsy 

Britney’s back! She sounds greater than ever and this song never hesitates to make me dance just a little wherever I listen to it. Besides her sounding great vocally, the mid-tempo beat of the song is pulsing and fun and a sure way to keep you hyped up.

2) IshDARR – Sugar (Prod. MEDASIN) 

Although this is another mid-tempo song, the delivery and lyrics are catchy and easy to have in the background. 

3) Jason Mraz – Freedom Song

Jason Mraz is my absolute favorite artist in the entire world, so it is not really surprising that I have at least one of his songs on this playlist. His uplifting lyrics and mellow music are sure to inspire you to keep pushing through your assignments.

4) Mandy Moore – Candy

Don’t judge me. We all need a little classic bubblegum pop to get ourselves through life. This song is a perfect segue into something more gripping.

5) Muse – Defector 

There’s nothing like some good old Muse to get you in the mood to take control of your life before life controls you. This song from their most recent album fights back against The Powers That Be (in our case, our professors), and always makes me feel like I have the power to handle my life.

6) Lady Leshurr – Queen’s Speech Ep. 4 

This is the fourth part of Lady Leshurr’s epic freestyle EP and is my personal favorite. If you’re looking for an amazing female emcee then look no further!

…so. Maybe this isn’t the best study playlist. Maybe this is an I-Procrastinate-So-You-Should-Join-Me playlist. Either way, I’ve succeeded in distracting you from your homework and have hopefully introduced you to some new music so now you can get back to work! :)

Thanks for reading!

Cydney is a senior at Towson University majoring in English with a focus on writing. In addition to being President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Towson, she always writes fictional stories in her free time. Cydney spends a lot of time online shopping, on Netflix, dreaming of buying purses and reading a good book all while hunched over her handy dandy iPhone. After college Cydney plans to write her own books and to go to as many concerts as possible.
Her Campus

Towson '25