Ryley Montgomery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Happiest girls are the prettiest girls.”

Meet Ryley Montgomery! She is a Freshman Special Education Major.

What do you do?

“I am a member of Best Buddies at Towson University. I work with special needs students to form friendships and get experience for my future. I also work at a jewelry store in my hometown, called Rick’s Jewelers. At the jewelry store I am a salesperson.”

When did you start doing it? 

I started doing Best Buddies in high school, and I began to do it again last semester, which was my first semester at Towson. “

What sparked your interest?

“The reason I started doing Best Buddies here at Towson is because I did it in high school and absolutely loved it. I began doing Best Buddies as a whole because I love working with special education students and it is great experience for my future career.”

How can someone else get involved with this activity?
“Someone else can get involved with Best Buddies by coming to one of our chapter meetings. Here, you can talk to the president and get information and maybe even become a peer buddy, where you can work 1-on-1 with a special education student; which is what I do.”

Do you have any tips for someone wanting to get involved?
“My tip for someone who wanted to get involved would be to make sure you have experience with special education students, or have some sort of interest in working with special education students as your career. I say this because sometimes it can be overwhelming and you have to have the patience and love for the students.”

How has this created connections for you personally/ How has it made you grow as a person?
“This club has created connections for me personally because I have made a lot of friends within the club, along with forming a close friendship with my buddy, Chris. It has made me grow as a person because it gives me more experience and makes me realize more and more each day that I cannot wait to be a special education teacher. “

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
“In 5 years I see myself working in a classroom with special education students, working to better their future and give them as many opportunities as I can more and more each day”

What do you want people to take away from this interview?
“Within this interview I want people to realize how awesome Best Buddies is and how passionate I am about working with special education students. “

Thank you Ryley! HCXO
MaryKate is Co President of Towson University's Her Campus Chapter. She is a Senior Communication Studies Major and graduates December 2017. She enjoys Indie Rock music such as Young The Giant, Arctic Monkeys, House of Lions and Catfish and The Bottlemen, just to name a few. She also enjoys chai tea, thrift shopping, Hawaiian pizza and Netflix as much as the next girl.