Rock and Roll and Binge-Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Looking for a new show to get totally obsessed with? Try out ‘Vinyl,’ the new HBO original series. If you’re a big fan of the 1970s, rock and roll, or the music industry, this show just might be for you!

Richard, or Richie, Finestra is one of the founders and the CEO of American Century, an infamous record label that has found itself in a bout of debt. Richie and the other stakeholders are in a current deal with a German company to try and sell the label while they can still profit off of it, but Richie has doubts about giving away the company he built himself.

‘Vinyl’ stars Bobby Cannavale (‘Ant-Man’), Olivia Wilde (‘House’), Ray Romano (‘Everybody Loves Raymond’), J.C. MacKenzie (‘Hemlock Grove’), P.J. Byrne (‘The Wolf of Wall Street’), Birgitte Hjort Sørensen (‘Pitch Perfect 2’), and Juno Temple (‘The Dark Knight Rises’). The show also features James Jagger, son of rock legend Mick Jagger, as the forerunner of an up and coming band—Talk about authenticity!

Even though it features epic rock records from the 1960s and 1970s, ‘Vinyl’ is more than a show about music, though. It’s hard hitting, dealing with issues like drug and alcohol addiction, and in pure Scorsese fashion, murder. The show really invests itself into the relationships between the characters, especially Richie and Devon Finestra and their arising marital problems. Created by Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger, you know this show has all of the intensity and rawness you’ve been missing.

This show truly embodies the iconic sentiment: sex, drugs, and rock and roll. And, as an HBO original, it has some strong language and mature content. This program is absolutely epic and definitely one to look out for in next year’s Emmy Awards.

The pilot episode is about two hours long, but the rest are only about an hour, just like another favorite, ‘Game of Thrones.’ You can watch ‘Vinyl’ live on HBO at 9 p.m. on Sunday nights, or on HBO GO the next day. All of the aired episodes are on HBO GO now.

Katie is a senior, and mass communications major on the advertising track with a minor in electronic media and film. Katie loves movies, especially Clue, but the full list is much longer! Her hobbies include writing, watching hilarious YouTube videos, listening to old '80s hits on repeat, and learning all about the hot new memes. 
Her Campus

Towson '25