Oumou Diallo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.
Oumou Diallo is a sophomore, International Business Major with a minor in Economics. She is passionate about community service and helping those who are less fortunate than she is. She works as a Community Center Assistant for Tower A and as an office assistant for the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs.  She is also a 2014 Project Serve Facilitator, the Founder and President of a chapter of the international organization Hope of Guinea here at TU, and is Treasurer of the Transfer Students Organization.  Lastly, she participates in the National Residence Honorary Hall, the National Society of High School Scholars, and the Big Event Planning Committee, the biggest day of community service at Towson University. We think juggling all of these activities and still doing well in school is more than worthy of being a Campus Celebrity!
Name: Oumou Diallo

Major: International Business with a minor in EconomicsHometown: Silver Spring, MDYear: Sophomore

Her Campus Towson: What do you do?
Oumou Diallo: I am the founder and president of the chapter of the international organization  “Hope of Guinea.” Our pillars are Scholarship, Education and Community Service. We strive to provide scholarships, school supplies, and clothes for underprivileged children in Guinea.
HCTU: When did you start doing it? 
OD: I was a volunteer for the international organization in high school. During my freshman year of college, I lived on the community service floor, where I did numerous events to raise funds and collect clothes and school supplies for kids in Guinea. After I attended the LeaderShape Conference in January 2014, with the support of my mentors and friends, I decided to create the first chapter at Towson University in September 2014. 
HCTU: What sparked your interest in this activity?
OD: I always tell people that I live to serve and that I want to leave a positive mark on this world. I was born here but I grew up in Guinea. Being privileged enough to attend a good school there and then coming back to the United States to pursue my goals, I realized the importance of education and how much it can contribute to maximizing one’s potential. I wanted to give those underprivileged kids in Guinea a chance to shine, empower them and offer them hope. My goal is to make education a right instead of a privilege not only in Guinea but globally. 
HCTU: How can someone else get involved with this? 
OD: We can be reached at  Hopeofguineatu@gmail.com
HCTU: What tips do you have for people who want to do what you do? 
OD: First and foremost, you need to have a healthy disregard for the impossible. The next step is to have a plan, a targeted audience and a goal, then just do it.  I know it’s easier said then done, but that’s what makes it doable. Challenge yourself and shut down that little voice that keeps telling you you can’t do it because if you can believe it, you can achieve it. 
HCTU: How has this created connections for you personally and academically?
OD: After LeaderShape, I had the chance to meet the president of Towson University, the dean of my college, and many other great individuals who have been mentoring and supporting me through my journey. In the spring of 2014, I was recognized by the Dean of the College of Business and Economics as part of The 10 Top Females of The College of Business and Economics and was invited to attend the Women in Leadership Conference at Towson. 
HCTU: Why do you think your cause is important?
OD: I believe that today’s kids are the future, their knowledge and visions can make this world a better place tomorrow. 
HCTU: What is an important thing for us to keep in mind as college students?
OD: As college students we are fortunate to have what we have right now. We should use this knowledge that we acquire throughout our years here to give back and build a better future for ourselves and others.
HCTU: Anything else you want to share??
OD: Ronald Reagan said, “We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone,” so please join me on this journey and make a commitment to do your part and leave a positive mark on this word!

Cydney is a senior at Towson University majoring in English with a focus on writing. In addition to being President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Towson, she always writes fictional stories in her free time. Cydney spends a lot of time online shopping, on Netflix, dreaming of buying purses and reading a good book all while hunched over her handy dandy iPhone. After college Cydney plans to write her own books and to go to as many concerts as possible.