NOTES FROM A FRESHMAN: Welcome Week Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

First of all, I just want to make it known that I am super excited to finally be at Towson. It’s definitely a dream come true. I seriously can’t begin to sum up how much fun I had during Welcome Week. From laughing at Bertice Berry’s empowering, encouraging, and absolutely hilarious speech, to the CAB-hosted Hot Tub Limo concert, it was like a non-stop party.

Hot Tub Limo, Welcome Concert

My orientation leader, Isobel, was so helpful and incredibly nice throughout our time together – she also answered a ton of questions I had coming into Towson. She encouraged us to go to all of the orientation events and also helped make things less awkward between the people in my group. Even though some of the orientation events were absolutely gruesome – the walk to Towson Center is a walk I will probably never get used to – the ones I did attend helped me in a way I’m sure I’ll never forget. Although it’s difficult to get a bunch of teenage kids to come out of their shell and make some friends in a new environment, Isobel did a great job in getting us to interact with one-another.

My FYE, Dr. Potter, was a God-send. Not only did she answer any questions I had on my schedule, she helped me learn how to add/drop a class and even how to select my schedule for next year. She completely cleared up how to navigate through the freshmen catalogue, and taught me how to stick with my major’s requirements while I fulfill my core requirements simultaneously.

Even though I’m living in a triple in Prettyman – one of the only two halls on campus without the wonderful creation that is air-conditioning – I can honestly say that I’m glad I live here. Not only am I super close to Newell, the best dining hall on campus, the people in Prettyman are super nice and are a perfect example of why Towson is the best university on the coast.

Picking Up My Orientation Packet

Hands down, my favorite Welcome Week event was the Target After-Hours Shopping Event. Not because I like to shop, but because that was by far, the best way Towson forced everyone to come together. Between me arguing with someone over taking the last bag of veggie straws and complaining about how long the lines were to get inside and to check out, I talked to a lot of people I didn’t know before and bonded over the struggle. Also, it was the perfect way to get to know my roommate – shopping totally beats out any kind of orientation event!

The transition from high-school to college is no easy one – everyone knows that. Hours of syllabus on the first days of classes can be tedious, but the break-down of each class was very beneficial for me. Understanding college classes and the way they work isn’t something that can be learned overnight, but having professors who are willing to further explain things and fill in the black-and-white overviews with some color is a major plus.

My first week at Towson was absolutely amazing, and I am definitely looking forward to many more!

All Images courtesy of Cydney Humphrey

Cydney is a senior at Towson University majoring in English with a focus on writing. In addition to being President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Towson, she always writes fictional stories in her free time. Cydney spends a lot of time online shopping, on Netflix, dreaming of buying purses and reading a good book all while hunched over her handy dandy iPhone. After college Cydney plans to write her own books and to go to as many concerts as possible.
Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.