New Student Groups: Autism Speaks U

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

At Her Campus Towson we are committed to making you the happiest, most informed colligate you can be. That’s why we started a column on new student groups. If you are involved with a recently started on-campus student group email alexandrapannoni@hercampus.com and you could be featured next!

A desire for understanding and a cure is what led Kayla Carter, along with Lynn and Lynna Bustamante, to start Autism Speaks U at Towson University in the Spring of 2012.

“I have a close family friend with autism,” said Carter. “There were several organizations raising money for Autism Speaks and I wanted to pull everything together.”’

At the Involvement Fair

Autism Speaks U is a new organization at Towson that works to promote Autism education and raise funds for Autism research and support. The Towson organization is a chapter of the national Autism Speaks organization.

Kayla says the Towson organization has plans to raise awareness and funds, including a Powderpuff football game fundraiser on Nov. 3 on Burdick field.

The group has already hosted several other events this past Spring semester including the Light it Up Blue Walk. The group hopes to make this years walk even better by possibly even lighting up a building in blue, which is the color of autism awareness.

2012 Light It Up Blue Walk

Above all else, Carter says that she would like Towson students to have a general understanding of Autism.

“Autism has a spectrum and people that have autism are no different,” Carter said. “Everyone is different. We all see the world differently, don’t think of autism as one thing.”

Autism Speaks U meets every other Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the College of Liberal Arts, room number 4310. Meetings are open to everyone and Carter encourages those who want to get involved to come to a meeting.

You can also check out the Towson Autism Speaks U Facebook page or you can email them at  autismspeakstu@gmail.com.

All images via Kayla Carter 

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.