New Equipment at Burdick Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

With the arrival of spring has come new equipment in Burdick Gym! The new equipment includes: a row machine, a linear leg press machine, incline press, decline press, calf raiser, bicep curl, cable motion dual adjustable pulley, multi jungle, smith machine, power rack, half rack, standing abdominal crunch swing bosu bench, curl bars, and linear hack press. Sounds complicated? Not at all! Here is what you need to know about some of the new equipment 

The Multi Jungle is AwesomeIf you are looking to strengthen your upper body: shoulders, back, biceps, triceps, etc. this machine has it all. It has several stations so multiple people can work out on it at once. It is very adjustable so everyone from beginners to the experienced can use it. It also has different hand grips, pulleys, etc. so that you can work out different muscles at the same spot on the machine.

The Smith Machine is a Good place to Start (and only start)The Smith machine allows you to perform exercises such as a squat with a barbell. Even though people in the health and fitness injury have had their share of disagreement about how effective using the Smith Machine can be it is at least a safe place to start from if you want to do exercises with a barbell. It feels safer because you don’t need a spotter, you can simply twist the barbell to get it to re-rack. However, once you get the hang of it, I suggest moving away from this machine for better functional results. 

Linear Leg Press  You can work several lower body muscle groups with this machine which makes it pretty cool. It also allows you to work those muscle groups without putting strain on your back. However, I recommend knowing how to work out without putting strain on your back anyway, otherwise you have a higher risk of getting injured. 

Standing Abdominal Crunch Swing Bosu Bench…long name, great workoutI love this equipment! I really feel like I get a good core workout when I use it. This piece is especially cool because it has a bosu for back support which is both comfortable and may add a little extra challenge, as does the bosu for any exercise!

Curl BarsI love these because they are easier to grip than a regular barbell. Burdick has at least ten of these which have weights already added! Most people use these for upper body exercises but they can used for any exercise you already do with a regular barbell. 

Pictures by: Kaitlyn Martinaitis and from http://cgeorg9.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/dscf43561.jpg