Makeup Industry Exposed: Why Cruelty Free Products Are The Way To Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

When you walk into a Drugstore, Ulta or a Sephora looking for makeup products, do you think about what you’re buying? Probably not. Everything from the set up of the brands products to the packaging, makes us feel a burning desire to buy EVERYTHING. But have you thought about what product you’re really using? Have you thought about how that product has been tested or created so that it’s safe for you to use? Probably not.

Take a look at your makeup collection and pick up your favorite mascara. Who sells it? Do you know what values that brand has? Do you know if it’s tested on animals? Probably not.

Lets take a second to define Animal Testing:

Humane Society International defines it as:

“procedures performed on living animals for purposes of research into basic biology and diseases, assessing the effectiveness of new medicinal products, and testing the human health and/or environmental safety of consumer and industry products such as cosmetics, household cleaners, food additives, pharmaceuticals and industrial/agro-chemicals. All procedures, even those classified as “mild,” have the potential to cause the animals physical as well as psychological distress and suffering. Often the procedures can cause a great deal of suffering. Most animals are killed at the end of an experiment, but some may be re-used in subsequent experiments.”

I went ahead and bolded a few key words in that definition. Most of us have heard or are knowledgeable about animal testing, but brands tend to keep it under wraps. It isn’t a pleasant thing to discuss and the thought of using a product whose formula has been tested on an animal disgusts me.

Many different species are used for testing. The industry doesn’t discriminate. It only cares about the safety of the consumers. Click here to see some pictures of testing on animals. (WARNING: It’s Graphic)

With that being said, it isn’t a shocker that many cosmetic companies, probably even some that you frequently buy, are testing on animals. The amount of popular cosmetic companies that still test on animals is shocking.

I found this really helpful chart from Crueltyfreekitty.com:

It is shocking to me that popular brands such as Loreal, Maybelline, Chapstick, Rimmel London, MAC and more, STILL test on animals! So this begs the question, how cruelty free is your makeup bag?

What can we, the consumer do about this? You have, “The Power of The Pocket”, as I like to call it. You can decide where your money goes to. You can either continue to feed into Animal Testing or go a different route into Cruelty Free makeup products.

With Cruelty Free products, you can have all the makeup you want without feeling guilty. Remember that just because it isn’t tested on an animal doesn’t mean it is any less of a product. I have found some of my favorite products from switching over to using cruelty free makeup.

Cruelty Free Brands: Check out The Ultimate Guide to Cruelty Free Makeup for more help!

Here are some of my favorite Cruelty Free Brands & Products:

1. Milani

I’m obsessed with Milani. I have found some of my favorite makeup products of ALL TIME from using this brand. The best part? It’s affordable. I recommend trying their Conceal + Perfect 2-In-1 Foundation + Concealer, their Baked Bronzer or their Color Statement Moisture Matte Lipstick. All amazing products for an overall amazing brand.

2. Nyx Cosmetics

Nyx has everything for the makeup junkie. It is really a dream come true. With their plethora of amazing products, your inner makeup artist is sure to be satisfied. I recommend trying The Gotcha Covered Concealer, their Jumbo Eyeshadow Stick or their The Sex Bomb Eyeshadow Palette.

3. Makeup Revolution

Makeup Revolution (found at Ulta) is one of my FAVORITE brands of makeup, EVER. With youtuber created palettes that are works of art (Fortune Favors the Brave Palette, am i right?!) to just downright remarkable products that are amazing and CHEAP! You really cannot go wrong. Everytime I buy a product from Makeup Revolution, I feel like a kid in a candy store. I have yet to be disappointed. Some of my favorites include, The Fortune Favors The Brave Palette, The Aqua Seal Liquid Eye Primer, The Vivid Baked Highlighter, and The Rose Gold Lipstick!

4. Too Faced

Too Faced is another really great brand! It’s more expensive but I don’t mind paying more for a company that doesn’t test on animals. I know a lot of people who adore too faced products. Here are some to try;  Born This Way Foundation, Natural Eyes Palette and Better Than Sex Mascara.

5. Becca

Becca is a great higher-end makeup brand too! I reccomend checking out, The Ever Matte + Poreless Primer, The Shimmering Skin Perfector, and The Backlight Priming Filter.

Alright Collgiettes, I hope you found this article helpful in your journey of going Cruelty Free!

Reply in the comments down below of some of your favorite Cruelty Free Makeup Products!

HCXO!

MaryKate is Co President of Towson University's Her Campus Chapter. She is a Senior Communication Studies Major and graduates December 2017. She enjoys Indie Rock music such as Young The Giant, Arctic Monkeys, House of Lions and Catfish and The Bottlemen, just to name a few. She also enjoys chai tea, thrift shopping, Hawaiian pizza and Netflix as much as the next girl.