LEAVE IT TO EVA: Useless Major Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

When I tell people I’m a journalism major with an art history minor, people look at me with pity. “What are you going to DO with that?” people ask me. They think that every single person in the world should be majoring in accounting or computer science or something. If you are majoring in those, congratulations! You’ll probably get a job right out of college, and if that’s your passion, that’s what you should be doing, and good for you. If you’re like me, and majoring in something ‘useless’, give this a read, and find out just how many jobs are available to you, if you take the time and effort to look.

Major: Art History

Art history majors are perfect for museum careers. A knowledge of art and its movements means that you’re suited to guiding tours, installing exhibits and curating collections of art. (Adding in some museum studies classes can’t hurt–these are offered here at Towson!) Art historians also have a leg up in dealing antiques and valuables, according to Notre Dame professor Charles M. Rosenberg. An interest in writing as well as art history means you can get a job as a researcher or writer of articles and books about any number of art history topics. Does Greek art float your boat? Maybe the Renaissance? Immerse yourself in research and maybe you’ll end up creating a great textbook for future college students to use! 

Major: Film

Major: Dance

Major: Sociology

Understanding how people and societies work can open all kinds of doors. A sociology major can get jobs with agencies fighting for human rights–everything from adoption and foster care to environmental protection. There are also a lot of tie-ins with criminal justice careers, and a sociology major can find work in rehabilitation, law enforcement and juvenile detention. Combining sociology with anthroplogy, criminal justice or psychology can strengthen the major even more, and widen the opportunities you can get! And students of sociology gain a worldliness and understanding of others that serves well in any career. 

Got questions? Talk to me about it on Twitter! @mevia_ergo

A journalism major and art history minor, I love writing, research and shopping trips! I'm also always on the lookout for money saving tips and tricks.
Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.