Larry Hogan Sworn in as Governor of Maryland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

On Wednesday, January 21, Lawrence “Larry” Hogan Jr. was sworn in as the 62nd Governor of Maryland in front of a large crowd of onlookers who braved the threat of snow and rain to be there. Republican Larry Hogan won the 2014 Gubernatorial election, defeating Democratic Lt. Governor Anthony Brown in the biggest upset in the nation. I had the opportunity to be an usher at the Inauguration and was able to witness this historic occasion. 

Before the public ceremony outside of the State House in Annapolis, there is an official swearing-in at noon in the State Senate. After the official one is done, the festivities move outside. 

The Inauguration featured several speakers including former Governor Robert “Bob” Ehrlich. Ehrlich was the sixth Republican governor in historically Democratic Maryland (and he’s also from my hometown!)

Also in attendance was New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, who spoke after the public swearing-in and traditional 19 gun salute. Christie helped with Hogan’s historical campaign and said that he hoped to be standing in the same spot four years from now watching Hogan be sworn in for his second term. 

Once at the podium, Larry Hogan spoke about how Maryland is now open for business and he hoped that this would become known as the beginning of the state’s renaissance. Before taking the oath of office, Hogan founded the grassroots organiation Change Maryland, which looked to bring change and what he felt was common sense to Annapolis. Now that Hogan has taken office, change can begin.  

Congratulations, Governor Hogan! 

Junior at Towson University. Political Science major, Mass Communication minor. Raised Right. Lover of all things figure skating, the Baltimore Ravens, coffee and mixed drinks. Twitter: @Melliiisssaaaa Instagram: @Melliiissssaaaaa