How to: Maintain Your LDR

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

How to: Maintain Your LDR (long distance relationship)

Long distance relationships are notorious for not working out. Many students are moving away from their partner to attend college and/or they have always been in a long distance relationship. It is true that LDRs are difficult; however, it is possible to make them work! Do not let others discourage you or put your relationship down simply because it is unconventional. Remember, love never gives up & distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Here are some tips to maintain your LDR:

1.) Schedule: You and your partner should continually plan the next time you will see each other. This helps because you always have a date to countdown to. Side note: download a countdown app on your phone so you have a constant reminder of the days remaining until you see your partner!

2.) Communicate: This is crucial! You always need to communicate with your significant other. This helps to avoid unnecessary fights and allows the other person to understand what is going in your life since he/she is not physically there to assess your mood or know how your day went. A recommendation is to have a consistent day and time to have a Skype date with one another. This will help you make it through the day or week and will give you a chance to talk with one another “face to face.”

3.) Relax about social media: If you are forever monitoring his/hers Instagram, Facebook, etc.  you are bound for disaster. The main survival point of an LDR is to not get jealous. Trust is a must! If he likes a girl’s picture then it should not be a big deal (use your best judgment to avoid conflict).

4.) Snail mail: Sending little notes in the mail is extremely romantic and affordable. Stamps are 49¢ now a days. To be able to brighten one’s day with a homemade card for 49¢ makes this very easy.  

5.) Stay positive: To continue a healthy and happy relationship you need to stay positive and upbeat. Sure, you might feel lonely some days but by having a date set (see #1) the days will fly by quickly. Be thankful knowing that you have someone to love and even better that you are loved.

Good luck & know that it is possible to “survive” an LDR. 

Be sure to follow my Pinterest board for LDR tips, quotes and gift ideas. 

InstagramFacebookPinterestTransfer student || Class of 2016Health Care Management || Business Administration