How to Get Over a Guy: the Right Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Crushes come and go, but sometimes there are those crushes that come so close to working out until everything falls apart. It hurts the most when you let someone into your life and then they just disappear. What are you supposed to do? The first idea is usually to get drunk and meet someone else, whether it is a quick hook up or a new relationship to jump into. Just because that’s the first idea, doesn’t mean it’s the best idea.

Here are 10 things to do that are good ideas, not quick, easy solutions.

1. Don’t try and erase that person from your life, physically and mentally. It’s okay to remember the good, but remember the bad also. There’s bound to be good memories and remembering them isn’t the end of the world. There was a reason they were good, so don’t be so quick to push them away.

2. Surround yourself with friends. They’ll make you laugh, cry (in a good way), and temporarily forget the hurt. Friends are there for you to lean on during good and bad times, so take advantage of them.

3. Meet new people. This doesn’t mean force yourself upon new people, but be open to others. You never know what will happen, but meeting new people is never really a bad thing.

4. Be open minded with everything, don’t be quick to judge. You may want to, but judging people won’t change anything. It won’t change what happened with the guy, it would just make you look bad.

5. Don’t make bad decisions, and I really mean that. At first you may want to go out and party with your friends, but that’s not the best idea. Exposing yourself to foolish activities may turn for the worst. You might get so drunk that you drunk call or message the guy, and that is NOT good at all. I’m not saying that you can’t make mistakes because mistakes are inevitable, but make the right mistakes.

6. Try new things and be daring. Try doing something you would have never imagined yourself doing. Not anything drastic like skydiving or getting a tattoo (unless that’s always been a plan for you), but try a new activity, and get out more. It’s good for you.

7. Let yourself miss him. That may sound weird, but once you acknowledge that it ended, it will get easier. You do miss him, no matter how many times you say you don’t, you really do, but that’s okay.

8. Also let yourself hurt. Ignoring the hurt will do more damage than good. Find an outlet for all of it. Outlets could be working out, writing, listening to music, playing a sport, or any kind of hobbies you have.

9. Pour your heart into something else to temporarily forget him and the pain. Doing something that you are passion about will place your attention somewhere else.

10. Let yourself love again. Don’t build up a wall against everyone just because one guy screwed you over. That would be letting him get to you and affect your future, and you should not give anyone that much power.

Moving on may seem like the last thing you want to do, or the first thing, but moving too fast will cause more harm than good. Do things that make you happy and don’t let one guy affect your entire life. In the end, he’s just a guy that wasn’t good enough for you, or things just weren’t meant to be. The easiest thing to do is just accept this and do you. 

Emily is a sophomore at Towson University majoring in Mass Communications with a concentration in journalism. She enjoys writing, listening to music, and going to concerts. She writes for Towson's newspaper (www.thetowerlight.com), on Tumblr (www.emilyimagines.tumblr.com), or on her Twitter (@dinoemmie). This is her second year on the HCTU staff and she is currently Vice President, She also enjoys creating graphics, marketing, and advertising. Emily aspires to be a magazine editor. 
Her Campus

Towson '25