Kristen Bryant-Thinking In A Lala College Sweatshirt
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

Here’s 8 Things to Do When Loving Yourself Is Hard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

No matter who you are, some days, feeling confident about yourself is not always the easiest. You scroll on social media and see someone who seems to have prettier hair than you or a cooler outfit than yours. But yours seemed cool when you bought it, right?

This is where, in a society full of likes and comments, you must stop and think. The battle of loving yourself can start and stop with a comparison. For starters, there are 7 billion people in this world and yet every single one of us is different. And this is not a bad thing. Someone may have the same hair color as you or the same name, but they are not you.

During low times, it can be hard to remember this. Maybe you end up getting rejected by the boy you liked or you simply just received a bad test grade, either way these things can affect how you feel about yourself in a negative way. But moments like that do not define you as a person.

The battle of loving yourself is full of ups and downs. For me, accepting the fact that you are you for a reason is one of the best things that I can do for myself, no matter how hard it can be some days. But enough with the inspirational talk, here are some things I like to do to cheer myself up when I am feeling down:

1. Hang out with the people that matter the most to you.

Whether it be your friends, family, boyfriend, girlfriend, or whoever it may be, you are in their life for a reason because they matter to you and you seem to matter to them. One of my favorite things to do is just go on a drive with my friends and sing as loud as we can, whether it sounds good or bad doesn’t matter.

2. Get a good workout in.

Working out may not always be the most fun thing to do, especially if you are not feeling motivated. But the one good thing about working out is that somehow after you are done, you feel incredible. Whether it be a short jog down the block or a three mile run, it is a nice way to clear your head a bit and focus on something else.

3. Have a dance party in your room.

Maybe you are in the mood to dance to the latest Cardi B song or listen to some throwbacks, either way letting some energy out and dancing to some of your favorite tunes can get you in a good mood. My roommates and I always create huge dance parties in our living room with our karaoke machine that flashes all sorts of colors with the music.

4. Go to your favorite place to eat.

Filling up your stomach with some tasty food is always a mood changer. You may feel a little tired afterwards and might have a slight food baby, but you will feel nice and warm inside, and a little happier. Here at Towson, my go to places are Nando’s, Chipotle, and of course, Insomnia Cookies. I definitely am a huge advocate for their Bigwich, which is two cookies of your choice and icing in-between.

5. Treat yourself.

I am not in any means a financial advisor or an advisor for saving your money all the time, so to me there is nothing better than a nice shopping trip to the mall. Wanna update your wardrobe to cheer yourself up? TREAT YO’ SELF. Need that new lipstick that Colourpop just released? TREAT YO’ SELF. Either way, treat yourself. We don’t always go out and splurge on ourselves, and when we do there is nothing wrong with it.

6. Go on a trip, near or far.

Living at school when you are in college can add more stress by just being around academic buildings. It is nice to get off campus and just explore different areas. Since my school is so close to Inner Harbor, I love going down there for a day to spend time in a different environment. Strolling by the water, checking out different shops, and just seeing brand new faces can always be a fun time.

7. Spa Day, but the cheap DIY version.

There is nothing a face mask can’t solve, at least that’s what I tell myself. Your favorite face mask is a great way to refresh your skin, which can in return brighten up your mood a little bit too. Pro tip: to make your own lip scrub, mix some brown sugar and a little bit of olive oil. For some added flavor, add the tiniest drop of vanilla extract or peppermint.

8. Take a deep breath and realize everything will be alright.

Life can get rough sometimes and it can be hard to just take a step back from it all. So, take a good look in the mirror, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that everything will be okay. You are you, and that is the most beautiful thing that could ever be. It is okay to lay on the couch for an hour or the entire day, and get back up on your feet when you are ready.

I'm a junior at Towson University studying Mass Communications with a dual track in advertising and PR, while working on a minor in Marketing, and one in Communication Studies. I love food, music, friends, and exploring new places. I'm originally from Pennsylvania, but I love my second home here at Towson and Baltimore.
Her Campus

Towson '25