This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

I am obsessed with thrift shopping. As a college student, I am always looking for ways to save money. If I can save money on clothes while still being trendy, I will take it! Thrift shopping is a great way to find amazing deals on clothes that have come back into trend or even items of clothing you can make trendy.  Here is a quick guide for going thrifting:

Check out reviews

Honestly, some thrift stores are better than others. I have gone to a couple that did not have a good selection at all and I was disappointed. Unlike retail stores such as H&M, they cannot control the inventory that is stocked within their stores. With that said some stores because of their location get better items. Before you embark on your shopping trip, you should look at reviews to get idea of what other people thought of that stores selection.

Take your time and search!

When going thrifting, it can be overwhelming. It is important to take your time. You should look through all the racks. That gem of an item you didn’t know you needed until you saw it could be hidden. I always find the best items when I take a slower approach while shopping at a thrift store.

Don’t be afraid to look in the men’s section

Oversized t-shirts to be worn as dresses are in! Getting a size large or extra large in a men’s t-shirt will do the trick. You can find great band tees as well in the men’s section, if you are into that style. I have also found great pairs of sneakers in the men’s section such as Vans. As women, we can shy away from the men’s section but sometimes many items can be seen as unisex. Do not take the men’s section for granted, you don’t know what you will find.

Keep an open mind

Don’t be scared to switch up your style. Embrace unique items. You should not go into a thrift store with your mind set on one item because it takes away from the experience. You might find an item of clothing that you weren’t necessarily looking for but will go great in your wardrobe.  I never go into a thrift store with one specific item in mind but I almost always leave with great pieces of clothing or different items such as books.

Check for discounts

Thrift stores offer different discounts during the week and on the weekends. The discounts are different for each day. Usually, they are determined by the tag color on their clothing items or shoes. For instance, they will have a day where all items with a green tag will be 40% off. Like any regular retail store, there will be times when the whole store is a percentage off. Before you venture out on your thrifting trip, check to see what discounts are being offered that day to rack up even more savings!

Don’t buy items just because they are cheap

When I first started thrifting, I did this. Just because the item is cheap does not mean you should buy it. I had the mindset that since it was cheap I could just buy it and figure out what to wear the item with later but I never would wear it .I recommend before buying any clothing item at the thrift store, you should try it on. By trying the items on, you will then be able to determine what items in your wardrobe it can be paired with and if you will actually wear it. This will help you determine whether it is worth buying.

Good luck thrifting!

Hi, I'm Talore. Currently, I am junior at Towson University. I am a  English major with a minor in Business, Communications, and the Liberal Arts. Some of my hobbies include traveling, listening to music, going to concerts, reading, and binge watching some show on Netflix. I enjoy drinking coffee (honestly, I am an addict!) and I am obsessed with dogs. Along with Her Campus, I am the Head of Recruitment Operations for my sorority Delta Phi Epsilon. This is my second year on the Her Campus team and I love being part of this organization!  Instagram: @itstalore
Her Campus

Towson '25