The Girl Behind the Man Behind the Girl: Jess Liberatore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

For the past two weeks, Towson has been abuzz with praises of Twelfth Night by the Towson University Department of Theatre Arts. The theatre department put a 60s twist on the classic Shakespeare play, making it a fun time for everyone. Senior, Jess Liberatore, played one of the main characters, Viola, in this hilarious undergraduate production, making her the perfect candidate for this week’s Campus Celebrity.

Her Campus Towson: When did you start acting?

Jess Liberatore: Well I’ve always been the type of kid that would try to put on shows for my family, whether it be Christmas or a plain day like Sunday and I have nothing else to do, etc… But it didn’t really hit me until my junior year of high school. I signed up for an acting class and that was it!

HC: What sparked your interest in acting?

JL: It’s a combination of things, I think. I love making people smile. So, if I can take them on a journey and they get to laugh, I’ve done my job. But it’s also a perspective thing for me. I love being able to look through someone else’s eyes, see their point of view, and give that to others.

HC: What tips do you have for people who want to do what you do?

JL: If it makes you happy, go for it. Don’t take “no” for an answer…unless, of course, you’ve auditioned for something and they cast someone else, I would take that “no.” Definitely don’t let that stop you. Be confident; directors are looking for a specific “look” sometimes, and if that isn’t you, it’s not your fault. Walk into every audition telling yourself that you could be exactly what they’re looking for. And if they say no, go somewhere else! There are opportunities everywhere…don’t be discouraged.

HC: What was the most fun for you: Playing Viola or Cesario?

JL: Ultimately Cesario, I would say. Because I am still Viola, but I get the duality of being a girl who is confident in herself about being a guy, and then sometimes forgets to be a guy. Or even better, sometimes telling the other characters flat-out that I’m a girl, and watching it go right over their heads. Viola’s a fun character– especially when she’s Cesario.

HC: How has acting created connections for you personally and academically?

JL: Personally, I’ve met a lot of people who are just wonderful. The thing about acting is that you really have to be able to be vulnerable and honest with people you’re working with or you won’t be able to live in the moment. The work will suffer. But the vast majority of people I’ve worked with, in fact, every single person working with Twelfth Night, I adore. Out in the real theatre world, you never know what connections will be helpful. Academically, the teachers are all working theatre artists in the Baltimore/D.C. area. So every class, every teacher, contributes immensely to a growing artist–not only actors.

HC: Are you doing any more plays this year?

JL: Not this semester, unfortunately. But next semester I will be in the school’s production of Lysistrata. That’ll be exciting.

HC: Where do you see yourself in five years?

JL: Hopefully doing work in either theatre or film. At some point, I’d love to move out west but my boyfriend is a psych major and he’ll be going for his Ph.D so we’ll go where the wind takes us. There is work everywhere. As long as I’m doing what I love, it doesn’t matter where I’m at.

HC: What were the best and worst parts about learning and performing Shakespeare?

JL: Shakespeare is tough when you’re finding the right emphasis in the sentences. His words are just barely out of reach for an audience. He’s brilliant; you just need to trust him. It’s not something a lot of people are exposed to on a stage everyday, so you just have to breathe life into him. And truthfully, he makes that very easy. He gives you everything you need, you just need to make those characters human. Not “Shakespearean.”

HC: What do you want people to take away from this interview?

JL: I don’t want this to sound conceited or self-indulgent, but I hope people understand how difficult [acting] is. It’s not as simple as learning some lines and hopping onstage. It requires your whole body and mind for that hour, two hours, that you embody another person, another mind. That being said, I also hope that maybe some aspiring actors read this and decide to go chase it! IT’S SO MUCH FUN! Hearing people laugh, knowing you’ve brought joy or perspective; knowing you’ve taken them to another world for a while – there’s no other feeling in the world quite like it. It’s incredible, and I recommend that everyone give yourself permission to go take an acting class. Just try it out. Even if you don’t feel “good” at it, stop being afraid of what people will be thinking about you, and just have fun! It’s a really empowering feeling, being able to get up in front of a group of people and not being afraid of them laughing at or judging you, because I guarantee they’re just as nervous as you are.

We would like to thank Jess for taking time out of her busy weekend for this interview after finishing the eighth and final show Saturday evening. We wish her the best throughout the rest of her senior year!

*Personal picture by Jess Liberatore.

* Other pictures by Cydney Humphrey.

Cydney is a senior at Towson University majoring in English with a focus on writing. In addition to being President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Towson, she always writes fictional stories in her free time. Cydney spends a lot of time online shopping, on Netflix, dreaming of buying purses and reading a good book all while hunched over her handy dandy iPhone. After college Cydney plans to write her own books and to go to as many concerts as possible.